"Heaven in Hua Hin" Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin by syllybabe

Hua Hin Travel Guide: 586 reviews and 1,120 photos

On the morning of Tuesday, August 26th, supposedly my 6th and final day in Bangkok, I was lounging with friends in the living room helping them plan their day after I leave. My bags were packed yet I had a booking for Thursday the 28th just in case I got convinced to stay a couple of days more.

I checked out the Lonely Planet guide and it seemed as though I had seen most of Bangkok's most important sights and all that was left for me to do was get out of the city and experience a bit more of amazing Thailand...if I decided to stay.

And stay I did when my friends agreed to go to the beach with me. The choice of where to go was easy. Hua hin got the vote compared to Pattaya although it's a bit farther away at 220kms south of Bangkok on the west coast of the Gulf of Thailand.

A quick call to my favorite travelagent4thailand to check which mode of transport is best then we were stuffing swimsuits and sunblock into backpacks borrowed from Tish. Soon we were out the door and into a cab for the train station in Hualamphong.

I was hoping Yen would come but we decided at the last minute and it was on such short notice that she didn't think she would make it in time for the 1pm train.

Hua hin, meaning stone heads, got its name from the big boulders scattered on the beach at the end of Damnoen Kasem. Rather than distract from the beauty of the long stretch of sandy white beach, the stone heads add character to the shoreline.

While in Bangkok and you have time to head down to the beach, Hua Hin's the place to go.

• Last visit to Hua Hin: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2003

• fradelaide's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Hi syllybabe, I enjoyed reading your pages about Hua Hin. I am a great fan of this great town, I visit everytime I go to Thailand. I have stayed at the central village with my family and had a wonderful time.

• Jun 5, 2008 at 5:55 AM

It along with the coffee shop at the other end are part of the Hilton. Beer was so-so and as everything else Hilton more expensive than average.

• Apr 1, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Nice photos, oh there is just so much more to Hua Hin than the town center, the mountain, villages and farmlands, the parks and jungle, I think the town is a base but to see the area your really need to head south of town.

• miketrudeau's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2006 at 9:04 PM

Hi. I can see now why people like Hua Hin. I was only there for a couple of days and thought it was far too tourist-filled to be enjoyable or authentic. Good tips.

• PBY's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 5:18 PM

Hi Syl, Hua Hin was superb, but I'm ashamed to say I never did see that sunrise. One day I did get up before lunch though!

• knehredlum's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 11:34 AM

Syl, With your slogan"go where the locals go"I dont understand when you sleep in hotels 5000 baht en more, at that moment you close your eyes for your slogan shame on you Henk

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 7:29 PM

Wow, lovely pictures, esp of the sunset. I still can't decide whether to go to this place or Yangon yet..

• balfor's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 8:09 AM

It looks like Hua Hin as an awesome place to just relax and enjoy the water!

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 5:59 PM

This looks like such a relaxing place to stay, thanks for sharing it with me. I don't care what you say about your umbrella photos... they looked fine to me! :+)

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 5:18 AM

So a Hua Hin sunrise looks like a California sunset, interesting. I love the flow of sea and clouds you captured. Do you think I could improve my photography if I practise taking pictures of a Jeline?

syllybabe

“Go where the locals go!”

Badges & Stats in Hua Hin

Have you been to Hua Hin?

Latest Activity in Hua Hin