Bangkok Favorite Tips by syllybabe Top 5 Page for this destination
Bangkok Favorites: 625 reviews and 841 photos
Favorite thing: I was reading a shirt hanging on a rack in Khao San Rd. and found it amusing that it mentioned something about people getting corn rows and dreadlocks during their stay. Quite true, really. They seem to feel the energy of Khao San with the hairstyle and there's an attitude that goes with it as well...cool...too cool...almost spaced out ;-)
Favorite thing: The Thais are very religious. This is highly evident in the number of temples around the city and the number of people who actually come to pay their respects by burning incense and sticking that gold foil on the buddhas (never did ask why they do that).
feeding the fish
Favorite thing: We were going by pretty fast on our own longtail boat but could see fish jumping out of the water. We noticed that people on that boat were throwing in some food to feed the fish. Too bad this isn't a great pic. It was almost 6pm and it was too far for flash to help brighten it up.
Favorite thing: Every few steps on Khao San Road you'll see food vendors selling everything from the truly different (fried grasshoppers) to your usual Thai fare like Phad Thai.
Fondest memory: Ordering something that looked really good then having to run to the nearest restaurant to buy a drink because it was toooooo hot it almost burned my tongue!
Favorite thing: ...or you'll find pics like these that you didn't take. My cam must have ended up in one of my friends' hands (and I know who!) and he definitely wasn't taking a pic of the little girl.
Favorite thing: While taking photos at Wat Lokayasutharam, there were Japanese tourists taking photos as well. After getting annoyed for a few mins because they just wouldn't move away from the reclining buddha long enough for others to snap pictures without people in them, I decided to take photos while some of them were having fun and posing like the buddha. Annoyance turned into total amusement as we watched these four having fun in the sun.
Rama VIII (or is it IX?) Bridge
Favorite thing: We were tired and hungry and hot and just wanted to go back home! All day we had been walking in the heat and waiting for one of our friends negotiating for a buddha statue in Chatuchak (why I hate travelling with a big group). We had walked to temples that were not in our original agenda and we had missed lunch! That's what p*ssed me off the most, I think. No one should go hungry in Bangkok! There's food everywhere!
But of course it's my fault that when finally the others gave in to their hunger and they opted for food from a sidewalk vendor, I walked ahead to the pier to sulk (Hey! It's my trip, too.).
While waiting for our longtail boat I sat there fuming for a few mins. but how can you be angry for long when you have a flowing river in front of you?
Nah...I just picked up my camera and started shooting. I'll make up for lunch with dinner :-)
Coupons for food at MBK
Favorite thing: MBK is a shopping mall where you can find just about a little bit of everything. In their food court, the most amusing thing to me was buying food with coupons. First you choose what you want to eat from any of the stalls and determine how much coupons you need to pay for your food. Any coupons you have left after you're done, you can go to another booth to exchange it for cash. I think unused coupons that don't get changed for cash is a great revenue generator for the mall. Cool concept though.
Favorite thing: Even from afar the Khmer type tower of Wat Ratchaburana looked imposing and beautiful in its intricacy. Up close, it didn't disappoint.
The two chedis were built by Chao Sam Phraya in memory of two brothers who fought and died in battle for the throne after their father passed away.
If I'm not mistaken, that's Garuda carved in the corners of the tower.
Ratchaburana's main prang as seen from Mahathat
Favorite thing: While walking around taking pictures in Wat Mahathat, this temple came into view. It looked so interesting from where we were (and near) that we thought we could just walk to it...NOT. That temple in the distance is the main prang of Wat Ratchaburana...which happens to be my favorite temple in Ayutthaya.
More Reviews (69)
- See All Cheap Japanese
- See All Negotiating for a tuktuk
- Silom Village
- See All Nice Nepalese Stuff
- See All House 8's Ban Chiang Prehistoric art...
- See All Old Oriental
syllybabe's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 85 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 45 Forum posts
- 94 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 85 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 53 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 67 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Grand Palace- 312 Reviews, 614 Photos
- Temple of the Dawn - Wat Arun- 165 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market -Daytrip- 114 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 110 Reviews, 162 Photos
- Daytrip - Ayuthaya- 63 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Wat Pho- 241 Reviews, 509 Photos
- Massage- 49 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 31 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Temple of the Golden Buddha - Wat Traimit- 63 Reviews, 126 Photos
- Patpong Night Market- 33 Reviews, 49 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do