"Heightened Senses X 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok by syllybabe
Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,353 reviews and 22,990 photos
Bangkok didn't feel any different from home at first. When we arrived just before 11pm on Friday night, January 24th, the temperature was a couple of degrees higher than it was when we left Manila. As I was looking out my window while the van was weaving through traffic (oh yes, at midnight!), I thought hmmm...better infrastructure, but I still couldn't see the difference between my city and this one.
I had to slowly absorb Bangkok. It wasn't like most cities I've traveled to that instantly made an impression on me. The people had the same facial features, the same open smile (if not more open and more gracious), they had the same traffic problems (oh no, definitely worse than ours!)
So as the days came and went, I discovered things about this city that draws people into its enchanting fold.
There is a general perception of safety. The Thais have a peaceful aura about them. In spite of the constant buzz of activity, nothing seemed hurried. I don't know how I can express that in words since that is something that you have to experience yourself but to make it short, there was something spiritual about the people that in spite of the number of tourists and expats you'll see everywhere, the locals themselves seem so untouched by it.
I slept so little in 5 days...maybe a total of 15 hours altogether. There was so much to do and see and feel...and I knew it wasn't going to be enough so I kept pushing myself not thinking that it was slightly ridiculous because I can always come back...and I will...soon.
In my mind Bangkok left imprints of a profusion of colors...a lot of pinks, reds and fuschias...of orchids, lotus, and jasmine. I can still smell lavender and citrus...taste ginger, chili, lemongrass, basil...and the textures...smooth, crisp...fresh.
Bangkok...truly an assault to the senses!
TAKE TWO IN AUGUST
A passing comment yen_2 left on my homepage prompted me to check my schedule if there was any way I could get away for a week. Luckily enough, the date for the proposed VT meeting was on a long weekend here. Initially booked for a 6-day trip, I was given the go signal to extend if I wanted to by my boss. In 8 days, my friends and I shopped, ate Thai food for every meal, hit the beach, and just bonded. Girls, you know who you are, if you're reading this page, this is what you can expect when we invade Tish's flat again next time;-)
Note: My must see tips from January started out with Ayutthaya which should be moved to Off the beaten path but it seems like too much work so just click on page 2 to see the real Bangkok stuff. Ayutthaya now has a page of its own.
I grew up with the best girlfriends. One of the best calls Bangkok home...for now. One travelled with me to visit her. More will travel with me again. Are you reading this, girls?! You will...you who had the expired passport when I called you for this trip, you who were sweating it out in Paris during the heatwave, you who said the invite should have been a month early so you could fly in from LA, you who had been told to skip HongKong this year, you who should have been with us if you weren't babysitting on the plane on your way to New York, and you who had missed this trip because LaSalle had to schedule the entrance exam for this specific week...all of you...we're doing this...again! :-)
Beautiful tropical flowers with heady scents grew everywhere and most temples and outdoor restaurants were always lush with verdant greens and colorful blooms.
Bursts of color can be found indoors and outdoors. This display caught our eye in a Khao San Road store.
- Pros:Delicious Food, Very Nice People, Amazing Culture, Shopping Heaven
- Cons:Hot, Humid, Terrible Traffic
- In a nutshell:You can stay there forever...everything is so inexpensive!
Quick and cheap japanese food in a quiet corner in MBK's ground floor. Yen took me here when I needed a bite to eat... more travel advice
Doesn't look like much on the outside...just your typical neighborhood seafood restaurant with fish tanks outside to... more travel advice
- See All Negotiating for a tuktuk
- Silom Village
- See All Nice Nepalese Stuff
- See All House 8's Ban Chiang Prehistoric art...
- See All Old Oriental
- See All Bring your buddies
Written Oct 29, 2004
Written Sep 22, 2003
Bangkok VT Meeting, Aug. 22, 2003
syllybabe's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 85 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 45 Forum posts
- 101 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 85 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 53 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 67 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos