"Heightened Senses X 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok by syllybabe

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,366 reviews and 23,038 photos

Bangkok didn't feel any different from home at first. When we arrived just before 11pm on Friday night, January 24th, the temperature was a couple of degrees higher than it was when we left Manila. As I was looking out my window while the van was weaving through traffic (oh yes, at midnight!), I thought hmmm...better infrastructure, but I still couldn't see the difference between my city and this one.
I had to slowly absorb Bangkok. It wasn't like most cities I've traveled to that instantly made an impression on me. The people had the same facial features, the same open smile (if not more open and more gracious), they had the same traffic problems (oh no, definitely worse than ours!)
So as the days came and went, I discovered things about this city that draws people into its enchanting fold.
There is a general perception of safety. The Thais have a peaceful aura about them. In spite of the constant buzz of activity, nothing seemed hurried. I don't know how I can express that in words since that is something that you have to experience yourself but to make it short, there was something spiritual about the people that in spite of the number of tourists and expats you'll see everywhere, the locals themselves seem so untouched by it.
I slept so little in 5 days...maybe a total of 15 hours altogether. There was so much to do and see and feel...and I knew it wasn't going to be enough so I kept pushing myself not thinking that it was slightly ridiculous because I can always come back...and I will...soon.
In my mind Bangkok left imprints of a profusion of colors...a lot of pinks, reds and fuschias...of orchids, lotus, and jasmine. I can still smell lavender and citrus...taste ginger, chili, lemongrass, basil...and the textures...smooth, crisp...fresh.
Bangkok...truly an assault to the senses!

TAKE TWO IN AUGUST

A passing comment yen_2 left on my homepage prompted me to check my schedule if there was any way I could get away for a week. Luckily enough, the date for the proposed VT meeting was on a long weekend here. Initially booked for a 6-day trip, I was given the go signal to extend if I wanted to by my boss. In 8 days, my friends and I shopped, ate Thai food for every meal, hit the beach, and just bonded. Girls, you know who you are, if you're reading this page, this is what you can expect when we invade Tish's flat again next time;-)

Note: My must see tips from January started out with Ayutthaya which should be moved to Off the beaten path but it seems like too much work so just click on page 2 to see the real Bangkok stuff. Ayutthaya now has a page of its own.

I grew up with the best girlfriends. One of the best calls Bangkok home...for now. One travelled with me to visit her. More will travel with me again. Are you reading this, girls?! You will...you who had the expired passport when I called you for this trip, you who were sweating it out in Paris during the heatwave, you who said the invite should have been a month early so you could fly in from LA, you who had been told to skip HongKong this year, you who should have been with us if you weren't babysitting on the plane on your way to New York, and you who had missed this trip because LaSalle had to schedule the entrance exam for this specific week...all of you...we're doing this...again! :-)

Beautiful tropical flowers with heady scents grew everywhere and most temples and outdoor restaurants were always lush with verdant greens and colorful blooms.

Bursts of color can be found indoors and outdoors. This display caught our eye in a Khao San Road store.

• Pros:Delicious Food, Very Nice People, Amazing Culture, Shopping Heaven
  • Cons:Hot, Humid, Terrible Traffic
  • In a nutshell:You can stay there forever...everything is so inexpensive!
  • Last visit to Bangkok: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 7, 2003

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Seems to be very interesting page. I shall come back for more and give my comments. Beautiful page!

• Mar 10, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Really interesting page. I enjoyed it a lot. :)

• Dec 31, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Happy new year 2008! Nikos from Greece

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 6:48 AM

Great job on the page! I'm going to Bangkok for the first time in March and I'm so excited. reading your page thrilled me even more, thanks for the tips! :)

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 2:42 PM

This is a fantastic page on Bangkok. I will be back to read some more of your tips.

• saracen's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 7:22 PM

Some great BKK tips - my favourites city! Thanks.

• gogonicetrip's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 6:42 AM

It is nice page, I want to vsit Bangkok.

• lacole's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 6:50 AM

What a fantastic page you have here. The pictures are so lucid. I'm planning a trip to Thailand in Dec '06 and now I can't wait to go thanks to you.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 1:27 AM

Great page - tips and your photography is excellent! Thanks for your perspective!

• Feb 6, 2006 at 7:57 PM

Great page. Love the tips - extremely helpful for my first trip to Bangkok next weekend!

syllybabe

“Go where the locals go!”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok