Corregidor Island Things to Do Tips by syllybabe Top 5 Page for this destination
Corregidor Island Things to Do: 117 reviews and 280 photos
Please do not do this at home!
Tourists do the funniest things and this guy was no exception! Fortunately, all the firing pins have been removed...it was ordered removed before the surrender to the Japanese so that none of them can be used.
Battery Way's mortars almost froze after more than 12 hours of continuous firing on May 6, 1942. It was the last to continue firing before the surrender.
Note: mrclay has a pic on his homepage right in front of a cannon...some people like being in the line of fire? :-)
This side of the island is ideal for swimming. It has a small strip of beach and clear blue green waters.
Where ya goin?
In front of the lighthouse this sign tells you which way to where and how far you have to go...
This lighthouse was built by the Spaniards in 1836. From 628ft above sea level you'll have fantastic views of Manila bay.
Again, by the time we got here it was just too hot and I didn't have the energy to climb up to the top.
Built by the US Government and completed in 1968, the memorial is on the highest point of Corregidor flanked on both sides by Cine Corregidor and the Bachelor Officers' Quarters. There is a War Museum to the left with artifacts from WWII.
The ruins of the old movie theater now houses two limos circa 1937. One was used by Pres. Manuel Quezon, a Chrysler Airflow and the other was used by Gen. McArthur...a limo with the front seat built like a cabrio.
Both cars were restored by an American Vintage Cars expert in Pampanga.
If it wasn't too hot during the day this would be a nice walk and I could have had more fun taking pics of the ruins.
You're allowed to walk around but not inside because these are condemned buildings.
If I remember correctly, this housed around 5,000 men but only 20 died in the building when it was bombed because the men were at their stations.
A monument depicting the brotherhood shared between Filipino and American soldiers during the war.
For some strange reason (maybe the heat), no one wanted to get off the tram to take photos here but this is one of those that touched me the most in Corregidor.
This memorial is dedicated to Wainright who was forced to surrender to the Japanese. He was held captive as a prisoner of war in Manchuria for three years until he was rescued.
The following is Gen. Wainright's surrender letter written before he ordered for the radio equipment to be destroyed.
"With broken heart and head bowed in sadness but not in shame...." He began that message, soon to be flashed to a stunned world. "Please say to the nation," he concluded, "that my troops and I have upheld the best tradition of the United States and its Army.... With profound regret and with continued pride in my gallant troops, I go to meet the Japanese commander."
In the passages you'll see scenes like these showing what life was like inside the tunnel passages. This one shows the hospital. For each of the scenes in the passage you'll hear a little bit of the history of Malinta and Corregidor with recorded voices of Gen. Wainright, Gen. McArthur, Pres. Manuel Quezon and Pres. Osmena.
More Reviews (9)
syllybabe's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Coron Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Savannah Things to Do
- Laoag City Things to Do
- Bacolod City Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Ottawa Things to Do
- Coron Things to Do
- Kennebunkport Things to Do
- Springfield Things to Do
- Eureka Springs Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Hollywood Things to Do
- Las Vegas Things to Do
- Sun City Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 85 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 53 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 67 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos