"The Rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island by syllybabe
Corregidor Island Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 1,098 photos
Corregidor, or The Rock, as it's fondly called is an hour and ten minutes from Manila by ferry.
The name, derived from either of two things, comes from the Spanish word corregir meaning to correct. Before entering Manila Bay during the days when we were trading with Acapulco, ships had to pass through Corregidor to have their papers corrected and checked. Another reason for the name could be that Corregidor used to be a penitentiary.
Corregidor is synonymous with WWII and what seems to have faded in the background is its importance during the time when Manila became a major trade capital in Asia and the Spaniards built a dockyard, a naval convalescent hospital and also a lighthouse on the island.
I have gone to Corregidor 3 times and I wouldn't mind going back again and again. The island is packed with World War II history, a small but lovely beach, and a great place for long leisurely walks among the ruins.
I could have taken more pictures but it was scorching hot and the sun was too high up that the conditions weren't always perfect for a good shot. I did try, though, but I wasn't too happy. Maybe next time...
Love this! Wouldn't want to see Corregidor any other way...except maybe walk.
Or, maybe you can borrow Pres. Quezon or Gen. Mc Arthur's car...
- Pros:Great guides and good value for the money you spend on the trip.
- In a nutshell:Corregidor plays an important role in Spanish trading and WWII history.
When I visited in 2001, a visit to a mini zoo and an aviary was part of the tour. I was wondering why we seemed to have... more travel advice
Ramon Alonso is a fun guide. He knows the island and its history well and has cool anecdotes timely injected for a few... more travel advice
syllybabe's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "A ROCK BY THE ENTRANCE OF THE BAY"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 85 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 53 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 67 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos