"Earth, Water and Fire" Canary Islands by bzh
Canary Islands Travel Guide: 4,842 reviews and 10,895 photos
Most people in the UK associate a holiday in the Canary Islands with drunken louts in soulless resorts spending their days on the beach and their nights in clubs.
But the canary Islands have much more to offer than just sanitised tourist resorts. The Canaries are an archipelago or seven major islands and dozens of small islets. The major islands are, from West to East: El Hiero, La Gomera, La Palma, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura. Each of them has its own special atmosphere and its own marvels to discover.
The origins of the Canary Islands is volcanic. Each of them is a volcano or group of volcanoes that have grown from the ocean floor. Each island is more or less a volcanic mountain that has its base on the ocean floor and its summit above sea level.
And those mountains can be quite high. In fact, Tenerife, or rather Mount Teide on Tenerife is the highest mountain in Spain, higher than any of the Pyrenees!
This particularity means that most of the coastlines are very dramatic, like mountains falling into the sea. It also means that you can go from a seaside landscape to a pure mountain landscape by travelling a few kilometers. Fantastic for breathtaking scenery.
The Canary Islands are located off the coast of Morocco, just about the tropics. This provides them with warm but not excruciatingly hot weather all year round. The average rainfall is also fairly high.
This combined with volcanic activity means that landscapes in the Canaries can be extremely varied, from the barren rock of the calderas of active volcanoes to the lush vegetation of the extinct ones.
However, be warned, if you don't like bananas, the Canary Islands are not for you. Plantations are everywhere as this is the main export of the region.
- Pros:Warm weather all year round and fantastic landscapes
- Cons:The mindless tourist resorts
- In a nutshell:Volcanoes, beaches and bananas
The dragon tree can only be found in the Canary Islands. However, once you're there, you should have no problem spying... more travel advice
bzh's Related Pages
Canary Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAS ISLAS CANARIAS"
- "Leroy's new Canary Islands Page"
- "Was there as a child - Am there as an adult!"
- "F.Lade's new Canary Islands Page"
- "Canary Islands : TENERIFEVamos a volar a Tenerife"
- "spetterke's Trip to Canary Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canary Islands
- Hotels in Canary Islands
- Transportation in Canary Islands
- Nightlife in Canary Islands
- Restaurants in Canary Islands
- Shopping in Canary Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Canary Islands
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Canary Islands
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Canary Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canary Islands
Photos in Canary IslandsSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Conquet Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Norway Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aime Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
Top Canary Islands hotels
- Playa Blanca Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Adeje Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Maspalomas Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Hotels
- 855 Reviews - 1647 Photos
- Isla de Tenerife Hotels
- 1401 Reviews - 2929 Photos
- Teguise Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Isla de Gran Canaria Hotels
- 412 Reviews - 1163 Photos
- Playa del Ingles Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Puerto de la Cruz Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 142 Photos
- Corralejo Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Hotels
- 190 Reviews - 428 Photos
- Los Cristianos Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife Hotels
- 88 Reviews - 198 Photos
- Antigua Hotels
- 35 Hotels
- Guía de Isora Hotels
- 4 Hotels