"Irish Over Seas" Ios by bzh
Ios Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 111 photos
Ios is dubbed "Irish Over Seas" because of its large proportion of Irish and English speaking tourists, as well as the fact that it is known as the "party island" of Greece. It has more bars and clubs than permanent inhabitants and the average age in summer is probably about 25.
This can sound absolutely dreadful. Why would you go to the Cyclades to meet English speaking lager louts? In fact, the party atmosphere on Ios is very Irish, people are there to have a good time and you end up being friends with everybody. The main village is so small that if anybody starts making trouble, they will be very quickly banned from any place on the island.
Another reason for going to Ios is that it is a typical Cyclades island: whitewashed buildings, bright blue doors and shutters, etc. No resort type building anywhere due to building restrictions that stipulate that everything built must be built in the traditional style.
The main village is typical of the Cyclade style, with winding streets barely wide enough for two people to go past each other, small shops and squares, etc.
Ios is also meant to be the place where the poet homer was burried. Although this is open to doubt. nevermind, you can still see the place where he is supposed to rest.
The beaches are very nice and it is the ideal place to spend a week or two in the sun, doing virtually nothing all day. Not that this sort of holiday will be enjoyed by everybody but, just once in a while, it is nice to go somewhere and relax totally.
- Pros:Sea, sand, sun and party
- Cons:Party all night everyday can be taxing
bzh's Related Pages
Ios Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Party Island"
- "The Party Island"
- "Ios...the Party Island...!!"
- "Ios - Party Party Party"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ios
- Hotels in Ios
- Transportation in Ios
- Nightlife in Ios
- Restaurants in Ios
- Warnings and Dangers in Ios
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ios
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Ios?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ios
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Conquet Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Norway Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aime Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos