"World Heritage and city planning" Havana by bzh
Havana Travel Guide: 1,670 reviews and 4,077 photos
Havana is at the centre of the province of the same name, around a small bay, Bahia de Habana, that opens on the Straits of Florida.
Most of the city is on the West side of the bay. Directly West of the entrance to the bay is the old centre, Habana Vieja. Going West from there, you go through the modern centre, Centro Habana and a neighbourhood called Vedado.
East of the bay are the Eastern Forts that were built by the Spanish in the XVI, XVII and XVIII Centuries to protect the town. The rest of the Eastern part of the town, as well as the South are the most recent areas.
The two most interesting areas of Havana are Habana Vieja and Vedado.
Habana Vieja is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Its narrow streets and Spanish colonial buildings are worth days of endless wandering, occasionally stopping in a coffee shop to watch the world go by.
Vedado is full of impressive buildings erected by 50's millionnaires who used Havana as their playground. The most famous of those is the Hotel Nacional, along Malecon.
The rest of the city is more recent and suffers from a bad case of traditional communist style city planning. Straight multi-lane avenues and soulless concrete buildings are the norm. The occasional monument or unusual building can be worth a look though.
Hotel Nacional is one of the most famous buildngs of Havana. Situated in the Vedado district, built in 1930, it is... more travel advice
Malecón, the avenue that runs along the sea front is worth a leisurly walk. It is bordered by some of the most... more travel advice
bzh's Related Pages
Havana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to HAVANA !!!! ;)"
- "Habana - La ciudad de las columnas"
- "Felt like going back in time..."
- "Balcon al Caribe"
- "The faded beauty of Havana"
- "CITY OF MY LIFE"
- "LA HABANA VIEJA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Havana
- Hotels in Havana
- Transportation in Havana
- Nightlife in Havana
- Restaurants in Havana
- Shopping in Havana
- Warnings and Dangers in Havana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Havana
- 7 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Havana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Havana
- Posted in Travel Abu Dhabi Forum "Re: Re: VT meeting anyone?"
- Commented on one of vanessadb's Havana travel pages
- Wrote a Review Want to eat? I know a nice place! in Havana Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "The most famous hotel of the lot"
- updated a Havana Travel Page "World Heritage and city planning"
Photos in HavanaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Conquet Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Norway Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aime Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos