"The lighthouse at the end of the continent" Saint-Mathieu by bzh
Saint-Mathieu Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 8 photos
Pointe Saint Mathieu, Saint Matthew's Point, is the first that ships sailing into the bay of Brest will see of the main land. This very small village is nonetheless home to a few sites worth a visit.
First and unmissable from land or sea is the lighthouse. This beacon guides ships in and out of the bay or Brest day and night. If you feel like the can climb up the few hundred steps to the top, you can visit the lighthouse for some of the most breathtaking views.
The lighthouse stands between the ruins of an old abbey and a smal church, both of which are worth a visit. The abbey's ruins are the testimony that this settlement has had a long history. The church is typical from Brittany, a small stone building with a "calvaire" in front of it.
Granite stone is everywhere here and is what all buildings are built from. This produces an atmosphere of sturdiness and durability, essential in this place that always receives first incoming storms from the ocean.
The path to the lighthouse has been recently redone. It used to be a small earth path that could get quite muddy. They... more travel advice
Saint Mathieu is at the tip of the main land mass. It is first to receive the brunt of any storm and this is where the... more travel advice
bzh's Related Pages
Saint-Mathieu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The lighthouse at the end of the continent"
- "steeped in european history"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint-Mathieu
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Saint-Mathieu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Mathieu
Photos in Saint-MathieuSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Conquet Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Norway Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aime Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos