"Kitee, the pearl of eastern Finland?" Kitee by kimmo_v

Kitee Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 37 photos

Kitee on my mind...

I have a long history with Kitee. Because my mother is from there nearby, we spend most of our summers there as a child.
We rented cottages at the surrounding area of Kitee(Tohmajärvi, Suoparsaari, Haarajärvi,...) for years.
The nature there is astonishing at summertime; its hot, lot of forests and plenty of lakes to cool down.
The city of Kitee is kinda small and i just cant imagine what to do there as an adult.
There are few bars and Pesäpallo(finnish version of baseball) is most common sport there.

Some figures about the city of Kitee:
-a county of Kitee was founded 1631, and the city of Kitee 1992(!!??)
-inhabitants 10302

• Pros:Nature is astonishing
  • Cons:What to do there?
  • In a nutshell:Nice place for spending few days in cottage by the lake.
  • Last visit to Kitee: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2003

• hej-ansson's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Wonderful page. Mvh HEJ :-)

• Maxi1971's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 2:09 AM

Kitee is really so beautiful as I can see in these pics. Still hoping for Ryanair to open a new rounte to Finnland ;-)

• Dee22's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2004 at 1:52 AM

Hi Kimmo, Hope things are well! Good tips and pics....Kitee seems like a nice place! No Hockey? Brian

• Feb 11, 2004 at 11:31 PM

I remember when I was a teenager Karhu sports wear was all the rage in Spain... then a myriad fakes started appearing and Karhu vanished from the spanish retailers.. ;-(

• Nykaenen's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 6:48 AM

Damn it, every village in Finland has a ski jump!!! Love your humor (as always).

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2003 at 12:22 AM

As promised I am back for more here, great page, I just wish you had a picture of the longest miniature railway...

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2003 at 10:50 PM

Hmmm.. free internet and loads of trains and SUN here :-) Good page, Kimmo !!

• sinoda's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2003 at 2:25 AM

so what about tourist traps in Kitee?..... maybe I'll check out Kitee in August on TourDeFinland... s : ]

• Lalique's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2003 at 8:22 AM

Lucky you were! Very sunny and nice day you had on the 12th of June. We had a couple of sun rays and all the rest were clouds! :(((

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2003 at 10:30 PM

free Internet conn. and german monster...why not, seen many german monsters in my time...rarly free Internet conn. :-))) thanx

kimmo_v

“To explore, to get experiences and taste some great food too!”

Badges & Stats in Kitee