"Prangli Island" Prangli Saar by Lodestar
Prangli Saar Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos
Prangli is situated in Viimsi commune, in Harju county. The area is 6 km2, waterway between Leppneeme and Kelnase harbours is 18 km. Population is 151.
Prangli altogether with Aksi (or Väike-Prangli - Small Prangli) and Keri islands make up an archipelago in the Finnish Gulf. There is no constant population on Aksi at the time, only the lighthouse guard lives on Keri.
It is supposed that already at the end of the 13th century or at the beginning of the 14th century the island was populated with Swedes, later also with Estonians and Finns. The island became Estonianized in the 17th century. There lived 469 inhabitants on the island in 1934.
Half of the island is forested with pine, which provides good shelter from the winds. For that reason local wood is not used for heating but the fire-wood is brought in from elsewhere.
Western part of the island is low and stony, in the eastern part coastal barriers and dunes are variated. Lots of erratic boulders occur there on the island. The cultural heritage sites to see are Laurentiuse chapel, built in 1848 and village cemetery on the southern coast and the cemetery on the eastern coast which is dedicated to the perished ones of the steamship "Eesti Rand" that went down southwards from Vanakabeli point.
There is a camping ground with the sites for the fire and swing.
Regular boat connection between Kelnase harbour in Prangli and and Leppneeme harbour on the mainland is operating.
Lodestar's Related Pages
Prangli Saar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prangli - nearest habitated island from Tallinn"
- "About Prangli"
- "Prangli Island"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Prangli Saar
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Prangli Saar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prangli Saar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn County Intro, 43 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estonia Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Colombia Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barranquilla Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saaremaa Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Bogotá Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Tartu Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos