"Nice and homey" Santa Marta by Lodestar
Santa Marta Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 370 photos
The oldest city in Colombia, founded in 1525 by a Spanish Conquistador, it is is located on the northern coast of South America in a beautiful bay of quiet Caribbean waters. Before the arrival of the Spaniards, it was populated by native groups of Indians. Nowadays, the economic impact of the region’s banana plantations has been surpassed by an increasing number of tourist activities that are enhanced by the city’s exuberant tropical vegetation, topographical contrasts and emerald-colored ocean.
Santa Marta is a very nice small town by the coast of the Caribbean sea. There are plenty of sightseeing things in and around the town. It is also the favourite place of dozens and dozens of packpackers, some of whome just stay in the town for the cheap women and drugs... The town is however relatively safe and clean. This is the place to go to, in case you are interested in going to Ciudad Perdida or Parque Tayrona. This is where the trips are organised from. And although going to Parque Tayrona on your own is perfectly ok and most people do it independantly, you have to go to one of the official tour organisers to go to Ciudad Perdida. santa Marta is also the place to go if you are interested in diving, as many packpackers' hostels organise diving courses and tours. So Santa Marta is more like a starting point to go other places rather than a sightseeing place itself. But it is definately worth a visit, even if you are not planning to use the help of the tour organisers.
The viscinity of the sea is definately the best quality of St. Marta. So you could take a nice relaxing walk down the... more travel advice
If you are already in St. Marta you definately don't want to miss out on seeing a truly amazing small fishing village of... more travel advice
Lodestar's Related Pages
Santa Marta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "As Santa Marta Grows into its own Shoes"
- "Santa Marta"
- "Simon Bolivar's First Grave"
- "SANTA MARTA - LAST REPOSE FOR LATIN AMERICAN GIANT"
- "Santa Marta - lo tiene todo!"
- "Santa Marta"
- "SANTA MARTA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Marta
- Hotels in Santa Marta
- Transportation in Santa Marta
- Nightlife in Santa Marta
- Restaurants in Santa Marta
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Marta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Marta
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Santa Marta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Marta
Photos in Santa MartaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn County Intro, 43 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estonia Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Colombia Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barranquilla Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saaremaa Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Bogotá Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Tartu Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos