"Life on the Mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Hannibal by dlandt
Hannibal Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 162 photos
Hannibal is famous as the home of Mark Twain and the setting for his famous novels Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Quite a few of the attractions here are named for him or the characters he invented, and they've tried to preserve at least a part of the scenery. The town is essentially along the river surrounded by hills on three sides. To the north is the hill with the interstate, the on and off ramps being the only thing I'm familiar with. To the south lies Lover's Leap and the Mark Twain Cave, and to the west lies the real, working and residential town of Hannibal. I took a quick drive through there but didn't see much of interest. The river landing has most of the points of interest, not only for Mark Twain, but also for the Mississippi River itself.
- Pros:Its definitely a charming little town with a lot of history
- Cons:It would be a challenge to find more than a day and a half worth of stuff to do
- In a nutshell:Make this one a weekend away, its worth it.
The downtown area has a number of shops geared to the passerby rather than the native. These include numerous souvenier... more travel advice
At the foot of Cardiff Hill there is a statue of Tom and Huck. Climbing the Hill takes you to the lighthouse, which,... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Hannibal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life on the Mississippi"
- "Basaic Hannibal Page"
- "Tom and Huck"
- "Hometown of Homespun Mark Twain"
- "July 4th in Mark Twain's Childhood Town"
- "asturnut's Hannibal Page"
- "Still Like the Old Days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hannibal
- Hotels in Hannibal
- Transportation in Hannibal
- Nightlife in Hannibal
- Restaurants in Hannibal
- Shopping in Hannibal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hannibal
- 11 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Hannibal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hannibal
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues