"Life on the Mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Hannibal by dlandt

Hannibal Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 162 photos

Mark Twain

Hannibal is famous as the home of Mark Twain and the setting for his famous novels Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Quite a few of the attractions here are named for him or the characters he invented, and they've tried to preserve at least a part of the scenery. The town is essentially along the river surrounded by hills on three sides. To the north is the hill with the interstate, the on and off ramps being the only thing I'm familiar with. To the south lies Lover's Leap and the Mark Twain Cave, and to the west lies the real, working and residential town of Hannibal. I took a quick drive through there but didn't see much of interest. The river landing has most of the points of interest, not only for Mark Twain, but also for the Mississippi River itself.

• Pros:Its definitely a charming little town with a lot of history
  • Cons:It would be a challenge to find more than a day and a half worth of stuff to do
  • In a nutshell:Make this one a weekend away, its worth it.
  • Last visit to Hannibal: May 2003
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2004

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Yes, good guess! I did enjoy your Hannibal page a lot!! Love the Tom & Huck (General) tip! For certain I have to visit there some day!!!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2006 at 1:07 PM

What a great page! I'm also a bit of a literary traveler and have visited Twain's house in Hartford, CT and the Poe museum in Richmond, VA. I sure hope to make it to Hannibal one day, thanks for sharing!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 7:19 AM

Nice little page on Hannibal. Being a big fan of Sam Clemens, I'll get there eventually.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 11:00 PM

Interesting travelogue and tips. I like the Mark Twain connection. Seems to me I have driven past Hannibal, but never thought to stop.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 9:02 AM

hey Dave, you were featured on VT Main, where you spoke of Poe and Twain. I found Twain in Hannibal but Poe? Never the twain met! Please tell me where to go, I don't have the Net for long... :( Cheers!

• Moustique's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 7:53 PM

I sandbagged when we had the flood in what was it 1993

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2005 at 8:37 PM

Ooh this is a lovely page. I purely love Mark Twain and would love to visit Hannibal. (Before it knew it was anything.)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 11:48 AM

Very interesting pages. I've always been a fan of Mark Twain. We'll have to remember the Guilded Age B & B the next time were through Hannibal.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 4:41 PM

Good job with these pages on Hannibal. Great tip on B&B. Your text is well written and honest as well as thorough and helpful. Thanks.

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2003 at 12:31 AM

such a weird name for a place! I did not know it was Twain's home! very objective points of view! Happy New year!

dlandt

“The Black Hills”

Badges & Stats in Hannibal

Have you been to Hannibal?

Latest Activity in Hannibal