"Bane of VT?" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankenmuth by dlandt

Frankenmuth Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 180 photos

This is a TOURIST destination

I know that VT has its own form of PC, that people are supposed to travel to brighten their horizons, broaden their minds, increase their spirutual worth and all the rest of it. VTers like to say they are travellers and not tourists with pomp and ceremony and kudos. For the hopelessly VTPC, Frankenmuth will prove a bitter pill indeed. Frankenmuth is a TOURIST destination. It has a German or German-American theme, but it will not be 'authentic' in any way(great word 'authentic'). Frankenmuth is plain and simply country style tourism with a German dressing.

What I wanted Frankenmuth for...

I used ot live in Germany, but I knew better than to go to Frankenmuth to try and recreate that experience in the US. I went to Frankenmuth to spend time with my wife and daughter(s) plus soak up some good beer and relax. Frankenmuth didn't disappoint me, EXCEPT the Bavarian Inn Restaurant. No one in their right mind should ever ever set foot in that tightwad owned establishment. We enjoyed the German theme of Frankenmuth, but of the three similar places I have visited (Leavenworth WA, Hahndorf SA, and Frankenmuth MI) Frankenmuth's German theme was the weakest. What we liked was the river walks, the atmosphere, and the Bavarian Inn (unlike the restaurant the hotel is a great experience) itself. We went to have fun, and weren't disappointed.

Frankenmuth is quaint

Main St in Frankenmuth is lined with quaint stores. For people familiar with country tourism, the sights will be familiar. Fudge made while you watch, old time confectionary, handmade baskets, small studios and stores selling fashionable clothing. This is all very standard, but you can also get German style meals (though NEVER AGAIN AT THE BAVARIAN INN!!!) and good German beer amonst others. There are a number of German or Germanish themed festivals throughout the year, like their beer expo.

• Pros:A really fun place to go
  • Cons:Very touristy
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful getaway
  • Last visit to Frankenmuth: May 2008
  • Intro Updated May 15, 2008

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 8:03 PM

If you had read my page, you would have known to go to Zehnder's ;-) We've eaten there a couple of times and have really enjoyed it!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 5:40 AM

Darn. A cheesey cheese shop and schintzy schnitzel at an UN-Bavarian Inn. Glad to see you can at least get good sausage at this "Germanish" tourist spot! Hope your B-day is Ganz Gut!

• Aug 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Wow. I live in Michigan and have been to the Bavarian Inn dozens of times. You can be assurred that the typical experience at the Bavarian Inn is a terrific one, with delicious german food, and plenty of it.

dlandt

“The Black Hills”

Badges & Stats in Frankenmuth

Have you been to Frankenmuth?

Latest Activity in Frankenmuth