"Bane of VT?" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankenmuth by dlandt
Frankenmuth Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 180 photos
I know that VT has its own form of PC, that people are supposed to travel to brighten their horizons, broaden their minds, increase their spirutual worth and all the rest of it. VTers like to say they are travellers and not tourists with pomp and ceremony and kudos. For the hopelessly VTPC, Frankenmuth will prove a bitter pill indeed. Frankenmuth is a TOURIST destination. It has a German or German-American theme, but it will not be 'authentic' in any way(great word 'authentic'). Frankenmuth is plain and simply country style tourism with a German dressing.
I used ot live in Germany, but I knew better than to go to Frankenmuth to try and recreate that experience in the US. I went to Frankenmuth to spend time with my wife and daughter(s) plus soak up some good beer and relax. Frankenmuth didn't disappoint me, EXCEPT the Bavarian Inn Restaurant. No one in their right mind should ever ever set foot in that tightwad owned establishment. We enjoyed the German theme of Frankenmuth, but of the three similar places I have visited (Leavenworth WA, Hahndorf SA, and Frankenmuth MI) Frankenmuth's German theme was the weakest. What we liked was the river walks, the atmosphere, and the Bavarian Inn (unlike the restaurant the hotel is a great experience) itself. We went to have fun, and weren't disappointed.
Main St in Frankenmuth is lined with quaint stores. For people familiar with country tourism, the sights will be familiar. Fudge made while you watch, old time confectionary, handmade baskets, small studios and stores selling fashionable clothing. This is all very standard, but you can also get German style meals (though NEVER AGAIN AT THE BAVARIAN INN!!!) and good German beer amonst others. There are a number of German or Germanish themed festivals throughout the year, like their beer expo.
- Pros:A really fun place to go
- Cons:Very touristy
- In a nutshell:A wonderful getaway
River Place is a small shopping plaza that at first I thought would host the usual shops from any suburban mall between... more travel advice
The Chees haus is a relatively expansive country style cheesery. They don't make all or even most of their cheeses but... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Frankenmuth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Michigan's "Little Bavaria""
- "Frankenmuth - Michigan's Little Bavaria"
- "WILKOMMEN TO MICHIGAN'S LITTLE BAVARIA"
- "Bane of VT?"
- "Frankenmuth Annual Girls Night Out"
- "Frankenmuth: Where America Meets Germany"
- "Frankenmuth for a day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankenmuth
- Hotels in Frankenmuth
- Transportation in Frankenmuth
- Nightlife in Frankenmuth
- Restaurants in Frankenmuth
- Shopping in Frankenmuth
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankenmuth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankenmuth
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Frankenmuth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankenmuth
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues