"Baltimore" Baltimore by dlandt

Baltimore Travel Guide: 1,196 reviews and 3,406 photos

Home of Edgar Allan Poe

If you're like me, you like to read, and one of the things that drew me to Baltimore, was the fact that one of my literary heroes, and the God this humble writer bows down before, is buried here. Beyond that, I had little idea what Baltimore might have to offer.

As a waterfront city, Baltimore has a few maritime interests. The maritime museum is afloat, and a pleasant walk down memory lane for any ex-squid.

In essence, what I found, was that Baltimore is a good deal like my own city, kind of a diamond in the tough, with a lot of things, just not flash and polish. It takes a little grit to live there, but it also offers a kind of life or satisfaction that you don't find in the more embroidered and polished cities.

The one thing that will stand out in my memory, really, is the great people who came to the VT meeting my friend Julie arranged. Littlesam1, frankcanfly, ellielou (+mate Mike) and skye820, you guys were the best. Without you, my trip would have been mediocre in the extreme.

The Shot Tower

A convenient landmark, the shottower doesn't really have anything to do, though there are shops about. If you can see it, you are in the general vicinity of the tourist attractions.

The Inner Harbour

Most of the major tourist attractions are going to be found in or near the Inner Harbour. You will be able to tell this from one glance at a map. For the most part, this is where a typical visitor will begin his exploration of Baltimore. Shown here is a small 1812 era (replica) ship called the Pride of Baltimore.

• Pros:A very real place, with a good feel
  • Cons:Not well known, and I would say underappreciated
  • In a nutshell:What the west coast wants to be, Baltimore has been for a long time
  • Last visit to Baltimore: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2004

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2006 at 10:32 PM

I think E.A.P. wrote gruesome stories, but wrote them well. I never knew he was from Baltimore!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Thanks! I read Poe in Baudelaire's translations, like Double crime dans la rue Morgue, Histoires extraordinaires. Not my fav but I must read him in the original!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 9:21 AM

Thanks, my other fave horror fiction writer is H. P. Lovecraft!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2004 at 10:14 AM

Good info for me on this unusal page of Baltimore.

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 8:57 PM

not going to agree on the west coast wants to be comment but fells point rocks. so does cambden yards! (oh did I mention I grew up in Maryland?) rowhouses they call them,,,

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 8:55 PM

Sorry to hear the Poe House was a disappointment, I enjoyed the Poe National Historic site in Philly and the cheesesteaks (always comes back to food!)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 11:48 AM

Good page! I wasn't aware that it was the city of Poe...altho I've read and enjoyed him.

dlandt

“Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Badges & Stats in Baltimore

Have you been to Baltimore?

Latest Activity in Baltimore