"Galena" Top 5 Page for this destination Galena by dlandt
Galena Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 191 photos
Galena is a small, historic town located in the far NW corner of Illinois, only about ten miles from Dubuque. It is hard to believe, but Galena was a thriving trading town when Chicago was made of mud huts. That changed when the railroad made the riverboat obsolete, and Galena, like so many riverport towns of its day, faded in importance and population.
Today, Galena is notable for its old architecture and new boutiques. It is a toutist town, where people come to get away from the cities and spend a few days in the countryside.
Historically speaking, Galena is important for three things. First, as I already mentioned, Galena was an early riverport town that played a crucial staging role in the settlement of the area. Second, Galena lay at the heart of an area in which the only true war fought on Illinois soil took place, the Black Hawk War, where the Sauk Indians weren't too keen on the settlement of the region.
lastly, and most prominently, Galena has a tie to Ulysses S. Grant. The former Civil War general and President was not born in Galena, but he did start his career as an army officer there, and he did launch his campaign for president from Galena. later, he retured there. Everywhere you look, you will see tributes to Ulysses S. Grant.
Galena has a cute side to it, like this teddy bear store. This is one of many cute little shops that sell everything from apple butter to salad tongs to wine and cheese.
- Pros:A quaint town anyone can enjoy
- Cons:Not easy to differentiate from other towns like it
- In a nutshell:A quaint Mississippi town
Because Galena is built on a series of bluffs, the different elevations are only interconnected at certain points. Some... more travel advice
Grant Park lies along the river and is a very typical shady park except for the President Grant theme. We went there for... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Galena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- "Valentines Day in Galena"
- "Jenilady's new Galena Page"
- "Annual Easter Weekend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galena
- Hotels in Galena
- Transportation in Galena
- Nightlife in Galena
- Restaurants in Galena
- Shopping in Galena
- Warnings and Dangers in Galena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galena
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Galena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galena
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues