"Greece 2002" Athens by dlandt

Athens Travel Guide: 4,468 reviews and 10,227 photos

This is my first ever thought about in advance VT page. It also marks the first time I ever visited Europe as a tourist. It was a very different experience without schedules, jobs, girlfriends, and other demands on my time.

Greece really surprised me. I'd always thought of it as being a little on the poor side, but what I found, was that Greece is a modern European country. They eat well, they dress well, they don't drive well, but they make wine every bit as good as the Italians. From time to time it seems there could be some infrastructure problems, but they aren't serious. Greece has its own history, whcih has affected its development as a modern nation, but modern it is.

Like everywhere else, Greece is a beautiful country and it has its own charm. If you're like me, you soak it up out in the countryside with a nice coastal drive. There is also a brand new airport that is efficient, neat and clean, but, on the downside, somewhat further away from the city. When I was there, there was an awful lot of construction going on, much of which was probably related to the Olympics.

When you go to Athens, make use of the fact that it is a nightlife town. I met lots of cool people and not only Greeks. The picture here is taken on board a ferry that gives a one-day tour of some nearby islands, Aegina and Hydra, as well as another. Although I was dragged kicking and screaming into this cheesy picture, we did have a good time, and met some British people who remain friends to this day.

*One year later* I'm ashamed I haven't scanned all of my pics yet, but in retrospect, Greece might be my favorite W European country, maybe because its the only one where I truly felt like a foreigner.

• Pros:Different than most European cities
  • Cons:Not quite as developed, but still modern
  • In a nutshell:Underappreciated, or appreciated for all the wrong reasons
  • Last visit to Athens: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2004

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 9:41 AM

So you do have a page on Greece:) Nice photos. But ...not sure I am ready for another cruise yet!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Greece is awesome! I want to rteturn someday....hope you're having a great day in Chicago! Norman :)

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Greeks don't wear t-shirts in March because it's too cold for them at that time of the year! No short sleaves until after Easter:):) Me, I'm swimming in the lake all winter!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Interesting page! Some married ppl dont wear their wedding ring at all though! :) As for the t-shirts everyone has t-shirts Dave! :) cheers! konstantinos

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 6:03 AM

This is a nicely done page. Just what did you think you saw?

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 6:13 AM

I wish we could leave for Athens today. Lovely page and tips! :) Happy travels.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2004 at 7:55 PM

Great page, Dave. I really like the way you LIKE to feel like a foreigner when you travel...some people just wouldn't want to feel so different, I think.

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2004 at 12:11 AM

Interesting observations on modern Greek lifestyle, well done boy! Just note that we do not care to keep the Turks so far away as it sometimes seems, plus we use less money in "defence" lately!

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2003 at 4:49 AM

yes Dave, we eat well and we drink even better;-) despite the short of your visit, u seem to have well captured the Hellenic slow pace rythms...look back in history, we have a long tradition in that....;-)

dlandt

“Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Badges & Stats in Athens