"Greece 2002" Athens by dlandt
Athens Travel Guide: 4,468 reviews and 10,227 photos
This is my first ever thought about in advance VT page. It also marks the first time I ever visited Europe as a tourist. It was a very different experience without schedules, jobs, girlfriends, and other demands on my time.
Greece really surprised me. I'd always thought of it as being a little on the poor side, but what I found, was that Greece is a modern European country. They eat well, they dress well, they don't drive well, but they make wine every bit as good as the Italians. From time to time it seems there could be some infrastructure problems, but they aren't serious. Greece has its own history, whcih has affected its development as a modern nation, but modern it is.
Like everywhere else, Greece is a beautiful country and it has its own charm. If you're like me, you soak it up out in the countryside with a nice coastal drive. There is also a brand new airport that is efficient, neat and clean, but, on the downside, somewhat further away from the city. When I was there, there was an awful lot of construction going on, much of which was probably related to the Olympics.
When you go to Athens, make use of the fact that it is a nightlife town. I met lots of cool people and not only Greeks. The picture here is taken on board a ferry that gives a one-day tour of some nearby islands, Aegina and Hydra, as well as another. Although I was dragged kicking and screaming into this cheesy picture, we did have a good time, and met some British people who remain friends to this day.
*One year later* I'm ashamed I haven't scanned all of my pics yet, but in retrospect, Greece might be my favorite W European country, maybe because its the only one where I truly felt like a foreigner.
- Pros:Different than most European cities
- Cons:Not quite as developed, but still modern
- In a nutshell:Underappreciated, or appreciated for all the wrong reasons
Famous for pistachioes, this is a larger island where you can take tours out of the town. I didn't. You can see it fom... more travel advice
This is one of the islands we visited on the cruise. Small, but picturesque. You will notice how white and blue... more travel advice
- See All Learn some of the Greek...
- The Royal Olympic.
- See All Generally speaking, you will...
dlandt's Related Pages
Athens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Athens, my city!"
- "My trap!"
- "Athens is full of Archaeological sights & History"
- "Athina mou..."
- "Athens afterwords"
- "The Beginning... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athens
- Hotels in Athens
- Transportation in Athens
- Nightlife in Athens
- Restaurants in Athens
- Shopping in Athens
- Warnings and Dangers in Athens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athens
- 14 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athens
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues