"Let me help you find Bermuda" Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda by dlandt
Bermuda Travel Guide: 735 reviews and 2,306 photos
Welcome to Bermuda. The sigh says it all. You have come to one of the best places on Earth. At least, that was my opinion after just a few days on the island. The people are nice, the culture is laid back, the weather is easy, and the sands are timeless. Bermuda had a better feel than almost any other place I've visited. With West Indian charm without West Indian poverty, with British orderliness without British hurriedness, with American convenience without American sloppiness, Bermuda has a charm of its own.
Bermuda seemed to have the look and feel of the Caribbean only without the poverty. Many many people are of West Indian descent, and form the cultural basis of the island, only better. Whereas the Caribbean islands tend to be poor and crime ridden, in Bermuda, you can walk anywhere, go places etc. without real fear of crime.
There is a British tradition in Bermuda, but it seems confined to pubs and a few cricket matches. The island's tie to the UK seems rather tentative and much more formally political, just as its ties to the US seem to be much more commercial and economic than cultural or social, despite the fact that you can watch American television. Both countries maintained large military bases on the island, but the cultural impact seems to be quite minimal on the whole. It is almost as if the islanders and their economy operated in a separate world.
Bermuda also has a strong strain of Portuguese culture. One quarter of the island's inhabitants are of Portuguese descent, and you can buy Portuguese or Portuguese style food and drink in any grocery store. ATMs offer you a choice of English or Portuguese, and the Portuguese figure prominently in museums dealing with island history and culture.
Bermuda is like no other place I've come across so far. Tiny, small, but diverse, with a booming economy and a very keen sense of identity.
Funniest looking horse I've ever seen
- Pros:Very nice people, very unique island
- Cons:21 square miles can get very small
- In a nutshell:Unique
Between Horshoe Beach and Warwick Long Bay lie two equally enchanting beaches. I should add that all of these beaches... more travel advice
On the upper floors of Commissioner's House you will find a lot of exhibits about the island in general. One room is... more travel advice
- DOCKYARDS Swim with the dolphins
- See All The ferry
- See All Cerveja and all things Portuguese
dlandt's Related Pages
Bermuda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Back to my first real home"
- "Bermuda - an English outpost"
- "Bermuda ~ The Somers Isles"
- "Bermuda - A snapshoot from an outsider"
- "Let me help you find Bermuda"
- "Bermuda-A Tropical Beauty!"
- "Bermuda, beautiful in Every Way...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bermuda
- Hotels in Bermuda
- Transportation in Bermuda
- Nightlife in Bermuda
- Restaurants in Bermuda
- Shopping in Bermuda
- Warnings and Dangers in Bermuda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bermuda
- 24 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Bermuda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bermuda
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Predjama castle from Venice"
- updated a Bermuda Travel Page "Let me help you find Bermuda"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Let me help you find Bermuda"
- Wrote a Review BEACHES Chaplin Bay and Stonehole Bay about Warwick in Bermuda Things to Do
- Commented on one of Juju_of_Lyra's Bermuda travel pages
Photos in BermudaSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues