"Where football is a religion" Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin by dlandt

Wisconsin Travel Guide: 2,386 reviews and 4,021 photos

Wisconsin

Living in Chicago, we're very close to Wisconsin. The state is somewhat diverse, with three general areas, but we really know it for only one, and that is the large swathe of the state which lies below the true wilds to the north of Eau Claire and Wausau, covering most of the state, but excluding the southeastern corner, where Milwaukee is located. Milwaukee, to us, is a kind of smaller, sister city, very similar to our own in culture and outlook. The bulk of the state though, is a different story. Its largely rural and hard working, churning out dairy products and beer, sausages and especially cheese. We go there to enjoy the good country life, to enjoy nature and the lake, or to fish, snowmobile or pursue other forms of recreation. Wisconsin is a place where we go to have fun.

Wisconsin can be quite cold

In this picture, taken at the end of march, there was little snow on the ground, and all that was required was a light jacket. However, to give you an idea just how cold the winters can be, there is ice a foot thick on the water shown here. In very few other places will you find this kind of contrast.

• Pros:A very nice place, with just the right mix of city and country life
  • Cons:The state is thinly populated, driving from one town to the next can take a while
  • In a nutshell:Where Chicago people go to get away from it all
  • Last visit to Wisconsin: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 3, 2005

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Oh Dave, don't make me come over to Wisconsin! Chocolate is not the only thing that drive us crazy. LOL!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 6:29 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed my old stompping ground, sorry the meat market though. No problem with the directions they came from a former resident so at least they are accurate.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2005 at 9:17 AM

I agree about Madison -- great place. When I was a child we used to drive up to Minocqua every summer in a 1936 Oldsmobile that boiled over on some of those long hills.

• Sep 17, 2005 at 2:16 AM

I enjoyed reading your comments. I thought their Friday night Fish Fries were a quaint custom

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 6:23 PM

That is the most unique perspective on Americana I've ever seen - those stones though old-looking look too close together & too well-kept to be real graves I think. Love the 1st pic in the T-log, you can't tell where the land blends into the fog - thanks!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 3:38 PM

Land of cold and a lot of calories, i see. Very interesting tips.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2004 at 11:34 PM

Never knew about cheese curds. Thanks for the info on Namur! Very interesting indeed. Saw you on the front page today!

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2004 at 10:56 AM

Cider, wine, fruit wine, beer... and cheese!!! Wisconsin has a lot of calories!!! ;-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2004 at 6:22 PM

Interesting and helpful tips about a great state. The wine tips were especially well done. "Earthy" is what comes to mind as I read your pages concerning Wisconsin. Good work.

• shekaago's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2004 at 1:43 PM

I was just about to ask if you had visited Von Stiehl's! And here it is! : - ) I have a bottle of wine with the "cast" still on it from way back when! I don't think they do that any more..... Great page on Wisconsin!

dlandt Visits Here Frequently!

dlandt

“Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Badges & Stats in Wisconsin

Have you been to Wisconsin?