"Where football is a religion" Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin by dlandt
Wisconsin Travel Guide: 2,417 reviews and 4,099 photos
Living in Chicago, we're very close to Wisconsin. The state is somewhat diverse, with three general areas, but we really know it for only one, and that is the large swathe of the state which lies below the true wilds to the north of Eau Claire and Wausau, covering most of the state, but excluding the southeastern corner, where Milwaukee is located. Milwaukee, to us, is a kind of smaller, sister city, very similar to our own in culture and outlook. The bulk of the state though, is a different story. Its largely rural and hard working, churning out dairy products and beer, sausages and especially cheese. We go there to enjoy the good country life, to enjoy nature and the lake, or to fish, snowmobile or pursue other forms of recreation. Wisconsin is a place where we go to have fun.
In this picture, taken at the end of march, there was little snow on the ground, and all that was required was a light jacket. However, to give you an idea just how cold the winters can be, there is ice a foot thick on the water shown here. In very few other places will you find this kind of contrast.
- Pros:A very nice place, with just the right mix of city and country life
- Cons:The state is thinly populated, driving from one town to the next can take a while
- In a nutshell:Where Chicago people go to get away from it all
No trip to Door County is complete without stopping out front of this restaurant to snap kitzchy pics of the goats... more travel advice
Whenever I'm going to or from Door County I like to stop in Algoma for two things. first, there is a place called... more travel advice
- See All Visit Little Norway
- Paddle the Pecatonica
- See All Eden Meat Market in Eden
- See All Historic Cedarburg
dlandt's Related Pages
Wisconsin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Forward" Looking State That Honors Its Past"
- "Where football is a religion"
- "The land of the lakes"
- "Enchanted by Wisconsin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wisconsin
- Hotels in Wisconsin
- Transportation in Wisconsin
- Nightlife in Wisconsin
- Restaurants in Wisconsin
- Shopping in Wisconsin
- Warnings and Dangers in Wisconsin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wisconsin
- 45 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Wisconsin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wisconsin
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Has your new years party ..."
- Wrote a Review Door County - Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant in Wisconsin Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Door County - Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant"
- updated a Wisconsin Travelogue "More pics from off the beaten path"
- Commented on one of RobMorgan's Wisconsin travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues