"Michigan is not Detroit" Top 5 Page for this destination Michigan by dlandt
Michigan Travel Guide: 3,844 reviews and 7,888 photos
Michigan is an underrated state largely because Detroit has such a horrible reputation. I find it rather pleasant, though its tourist sector is not as well developed as Wisconsin's. It has some mind boggling amount of coast with a large number of beaches, plus forests with cabins and lakes in the north. it has the UP, practically a separate state unto itself, and in the south, a chain of smaller cities strung out in a chain along I-94.
One thing that I find interesting about Michigan, which is absent in Illinois, is that it has MILITARY history. People actually fought battles here, and made forts, and viewed it as a strategic place. One or two minor incidents aside, we never really had bitter Indian wars or sharp British-American conflicts like in Michigan.
Michigan has matured a lot from its days as the auto industry's hinterland.
Having been to a lot of these country wineries over the years, you start to see that some are more than just run of the... more travel advice
The Mackinac Grille had some great whitefish said to be not more than a few hours old, bought fresh every morning.... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Michigan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Michigan Back Roads and Byways"
- "Michigan is not Detroit"
- "Basaic Michigan Page"
- "Michigan Wonderland of Old Mingled with New"
- "Michigan - The Great Lakes State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Michigan
- Hotels in Michigan
- Transportation in Michigan
- Nightlife in Michigan
- Restaurants in Michigan
- Shopping in Michigan
- Warnings and Dangers in Michigan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Michigan
- 29 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Michigan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Michigan
- Posted in Travel Chisinau Forum "Re: English, German, Italian or..."
- updated a Michigan Travel Page "Michigan is not Detroit"
- Wrote a Review St. Julian's Winery in Paw Paw in Michigan Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "UP Superior Coast Winery"
- Commented on one of axidty's Michigan travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues