"A thrice riven state" Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois by dlandt
Illinois Travel Guide: 8,147 reviews and 17,344 photos
Illinois is almost a boring state. Its got things to do, and places to see, but for most of its history, its got one claim to fame. Abe Lincoln came from here. There aren't really any famous battles that took place here and the state has been relatively untouched by war. The exceptions I know about are the short-lived and overblown Blackhawk War, the Ottawa-Illini War, and the Ft. Dearborn Massacre.
Illinois doesn't have a distinct culture, we really have three, and if it weren't for Chicago, people would say 'Illinois' in the same breath as Iowa and Nebraska. Chicago is a place unto itself, and really does have a separate, kidn of East Coast identity. A lot of Chicagoans have never even been to other parts of the state and vice versa.
Most people think of Chicago when they think of Illinois, but in reality, Chicago is crowded into one little corner and it doesn't match the state in character culture or just about any other measure of comparison. The majority of the state is quiet countryside with a sprinklin gof nature and outdoor activities. Shown here is a view of the Illinois River.
No one seems to remember it, but the French settled this part of the country first. At the end of the day,they never really settled the area well, and stayed close to their riverfront settlements, yet they were the first Europeans to map the area, make contact with the Indians and begin the process of trade and Christianization.
A full analysis of French influence in Illinois is beyond my abilities, availability, and VT ambitions. I'm not going to try and paint a detaiuled view of French settlers in the 1600s, but I do want to bring a few things to the fore that many others miss. The pages will emerge over time as I have time and travel to the various remanants of that era.
We stayed at the Grand Bear Resort for a full weekend and really enjoyed it. Not only is it close to Starved Rock, but... more travel advice
Although the Mississsippi is larger, Illinois also has a designated highway route called the "Illinois River Road" that... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Illinois Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Named After Illiniwek Indians Meaning "Superior""
- "A thrice riven state"
- "Faiza-Ifrah's Illinois off the beaten path."
- "Land of Lincoln"
- "Illinois – Prairie State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Illinois
- Hotels in Illinois
- Transportation in Illinois
- Nightlife in Illinois
- Restaurants in Illinois
- Shopping in Illinois
- Warnings and Dangers in Illinois
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Illinois
- 111 Reviews
- 241 Photos
- 138 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Illinois?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Illinois
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Predjama castle from Venice"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Water Park for the kids, one hour from Chi"
- Wrote a Review Great Water Park for the kids,... in Illinois Hotels
- Commented on one of Wendy67's Illinois travel pages
- updated a Illinois Travelogue "Miscellaneous Illinois Pics"
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues