"Salvador Dali" Figueres by dlandt
Figueres Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 442 photos
My wife and I visited Figueres for one reason and one reason only, to visit the Museum of Salvador Dali. We made no effort to explore the town of Figueres because we were on a road trip and had to get back on the road and on to our next objective. This page is thus limited in scope and outlook solely to the museum and works of Salvador Dali. To those of you who would want to tell me I missed a lot by not visiting more of the City of Figueres, I can only say, "I know". Restraints of time and money often mean that I can't see everything I would like, or spend as much time in one place as t satisfy myself fully. I hope you can enjoy the pages and my impressions of Salavador Dali as much as I did.
The Dali museum is really large. it has 21 rooms of his work, with only a scattering of works by other artists, all of which were Dali associates. Part of Dali's work specializes in optical illusions, like this picture seen here. It may look like Abraham Lincoln through the lens and from a distance, but up close it looks like a woman with outstretched arms with an esoteric backdrop. Dali the artist went through various phases in his lifetime, and explored different mediums as well.
In this picture you can also see a lot of people taking pictures. There will be crowds here, but even the schoolgroups seemed to be unusually well behaved.
Because the museum is so large, and is filled with so many of Dali's works, they have included a lot that are not quite as good. Some of the galleries that resemble halls are lined with black and white sketches. Half of the top floor is used to illustrate hand-sized prototypes that Dali used to plan larger works. I also suspect that some of the more prominently displayed works include what i would call "studies". These are pieces that Dali basically did to hone his skills, in the same way art students do. A piece done in this way will often have a title of "Arm" or "Fingers" and will be donein such a way that the artist draws an arm or finger, seeing what can be done with it.
Although these types of works aren't as impressive as Dali's more mature or famous pieces, i think it was right and proper for the museum to have carried them. They give a broader depth and deeper life too the life's work of the artist, allowing you to feel and see a broader spectrum of his life.
- Pros:A huge assortment of work by one of the greatest modern artists
- Cons:There must be some cons, but I don't know them all.
- In a nutshell:I only went for the Salvador Dali exhibits
This is the same display from a different angle. It looks more or less like what you see when you look through the... more travel advice
Like I said in the introduction to this page, Dali used a number of different mediums to present his work. One of them,... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Figueres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Home of Salvador Dali"
- "day trip to Dali’s birthplace"
- "Dali and a lot of restaurants"
- "salvador dali at his best"
- "Figueres ; Salvador Dali's sweet hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Figueres
- Hotels in Figueres
- Transportation in Figueres
- Restaurants in Figueres
- Shopping in Figueres
- Warnings and Dangers in Figueres
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Figueres
- 6 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Figueres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Figueres
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues