"My favorite Australian city" Adelaide by dlandt

Adelaide Travel Guide: 985 reviews and 2,153 photos

Adelaide

Where Sydney reminded me of Vancouver and Cairns reminded me of Honolulu, Adelaide didn't remind me of anything. I think that's what I liked about it. It seemed to be a very Australian, down to Earth, working and functioning city. The people were friendly, but not overly so. It was interracial and multicultural, but not in a synthetic, paper-thin way. The attitude of the people seemed to remind me of Chicago, though nothing else did. Adelaide is a place you experience, not tour. On my trip, I passed through Sydney, Cairns, and Yorkey's Knob before arriving in Adelaide, but it was in Adelaide that I really felt I had arrived in Australia.

• Pros:It's not designed for tourism
  • Cons:It's not designed for tourism
  • In a nutshell:It's not designed for tourism
  • Last visit to Adelaide: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2006

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Australia is one of the largest wine growing areas. I am keenly interested in Aussie wine.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 4:00 AM

Glad that you enjoyed your time in Adelaide, so many tourists overlook it, and it really is nice, and has lovely surrounding countryside if you know where to go.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Well, I also had the fortune of living in Adelaide for 4 yrs in the early 70's and they may have been some of my happiest! Loved it too in many ways, but felt so far removed!

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Thanks for your great Adelaide comments. I fell in love with the place when I visited in 2001. I would compare it to Pasadena in CA (Sydney felt like a big San Diego, Melbourne felt like San Francisco in the core and a bit of LA in the St. Kilda area).

• AlessWhite's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 9:59 PM

re Hahndorf(near neighbour)...unfortunately,this little town has a Bavarian theme,whereas the early German/Lutheran settlers were from Silesia and Prussia.The bavarian overkill spoils the integrity of the original village.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 5:53 AM

hey thanks....I think that people need to experience my hometown and they will appreciate it as well!!! Come back soon! :-)

• Aussieanne's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 4:25 AM

Thank you for saying nice things about Adelaide - I get sick of people bagging this lovely city. I too have travelled the world, seen lots of fabulous places, but there is no place on earth like Adelaide.

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2006 at 5:55 PM

I can summarize this page in one sentence: "Its not designed for tourism"

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Fun read on a unique Ozzie town. If it's "no Vegas" as Arche said, that makes it sound even better to me....Wendy

• Sep 17, 2005 at 1:53 AM

Living in Adelaide I appreciated your comments, but I think your best comment was that Adelaide is to be "experienced". You're right it's not really a tourist place but lifestyle and weather are pretty hard to beat anywhere in the world

dlandt

“Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Badges & Stats in Adelaide

Have you been to Adelaide?

Latest Activity in Adelaide