"Ballarat" Ballarat by dlandt

Ballarat Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 500 photos

Between Nature and Urbanity

Ballarat is a large town or small city located about an hour north and west of Melbourne. Its quite civilized and nice, but if you go much further, you are really on track to the countryside. I'm really not sure how to classify Ballarat. Insofar as it reminded me of anything, it reminded me of some of the towns of New England, but it definitely felt different. The obvious Catholic twist to the town was different, and it has a good "feel" for its history, you can sense it. Its got a lot of the conveniences and sights of a city, but has the feel and customs of a small town. I liked Ballarat, though I have to admit our own VT member Kate-Me, and her husband, Paul, made sure I liked it. May I be half as good a host. If you're serious about a visit to Ballarat, you MUST visit Kate's pages. There is no substitute.

Ballarat II

A view of the downtown area.

Church

• Pros:Not far from Melbourne, but very different
  • Cons:Could be considered a town
  • In a nutshell:An alternative to Melbourne
  • Last visit to Ballarat: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2003

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I hope the Ballarat Lake had recovered when you were there.?
    You may have been a bit 'early'. All very good now. I rowed on it long ago. All your material everywhere is very entertaining and informative, David. Come again sometime please. (I lived in Ballarat many years back - when in the RAAF.) Cheers. Laurie.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 10:55 AM

Hi Dave! Happy Birthdya from Finland! I truly enjoyed your Ballarat page. The only place my friends took there was Sovereign Hill, which I enjoyed very much. It was nice to see more of it as well. Thank you for sharing!

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 7:24 PM

My cousin spent 6 weeks there studying English. I saw his pictures and it seemed quite nice but quiet though.

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2005 at 7:52 PM

The Ballarat I went to is a ghost town at the base of the barren Panamint mountain range, in an empty valley adjacent to Death Valley, California. Thanks for showing me the real Ballarat!They found little gold at the California Ballarat. Happy travels!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2004 at 6:21 PM

I did not make it to Sovereign Hill, but I spent alot of time and film at the Botanical Gardens, it was lovely despite the lousy weather! You have some very nice pics here.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2004 at 5:26 AM

Never been to ballarat but it looks odd and charming.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2003 at 5:01 PM

Good grief, still no koalas!

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2003 at 11:53 PM

Love the commentary with the Black swans and their cygnets!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2003 at 10:31 AM

Interesting Italian sculpture, balck swans and church. Is it Gold mine in the second travelogue?

dlandt

“The Black Hills”

Badges & Stats in Ballarat

Have you been to Ballarat?

Latest Activity in Ballarat