"Ballarat" Ballarat by dlandt
Ballarat Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 500 photos
Ballarat is a large town or small city located about an hour north and west of Melbourne. Its quite civilized and nice, but if you go much further, you are really on track to the countryside. I'm really not sure how to classify Ballarat. Insofar as it reminded me of anything, it reminded me of some of the towns of New England, but it definitely felt different. The obvious Catholic twist to the town was different, and it has a good "feel" for its history, you can sense it. Its got a lot of the conveniences and sights of a city, but has the feel and customs of a small town. I liked Ballarat, though I have to admit our own VT member Kate-Me, and her husband, Paul, made sure I liked it. May I be half as good a host. If you're serious about a visit to Ballarat, you MUST visit Kate's pages. There is no substitute.
A view of the downtown area.
- Pros:Not far from Melbourne, but very different
- Cons:Could be considered a town
- In a nutshell:An alternative to Melbourne
As I can quote "Its about the closest thing to a tourist attraction we have around here". What this is is a theme park... more travel advice
In the Central Park there is a small building which houses some Italian sculpture, purchased around the troubled times... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Ballarat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ballarat in the Central Victorian goldfields"
- "Reason for being"
- "Keeweechic's Ballarat"
- "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- "A Former Gold Rush Town"
- "Ballarat - The Town that Gold Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ballarat
- Hotels in Ballarat
- Transportation in Ballarat
- Nightlife in Ballarat
- Restaurants in Ballarat
- Shopping in Ballarat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ballarat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ballarat
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Ballarat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballarat
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues