"Cairns in the Far North" Cairns by dlandt
Cairns Travel Guide: 869 reviews and 2,212 photos
Well for one thing, you can watch rugby in a pub. You won't want to do this though, Cairns really does offer too many unique activities to spend more than a few hours drinking beer. The only real reason I did so, was the fact that there was an Australia-New Zealand rugby match to watch. From the tropical rainforest to the Great Barrier Reef, both of which are world heritage sights, you will find an abundance of natural beauty to dazzle and awe you. For all the touristy stuff there, it really does serve as a great base tosee the area. Its not often that i say this, but I really wish I had had more time in Cairns.
There are local people and local things to do here, its just that you will have to go find them. Cairns is the fastest growing city in Australia but tourism continues to emply 40% of the population. Its easy to see why, but if you tire of the scene, you can go a little further afield. This is from the central market, close enough to walk to, but a little away from the main tourist areas.
This is it, where the international jet set and beautiful people from all the world come to congregate. The picture is taken in the morning, but by afternoon it will be full of people. When the boats get back fro the reef it fills up fast, which is about 6:00. A lot of the restaurants give you 30% off the meal if you order before 5:00. there is a full range of souvenier shops, restaurants, and booking agents along the way.
- Pros:Quite a lot to do
- Cons:Very touristy
- In a nutshell:So much to do
Instead of getting on a bus and going to the Daintree, which is several hours away, you might want to consider a trip up... more travel advice
The Great Barrier Reef offers some of the most spectacular diving in the world and to miss it would be a true shame. I... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - more than the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 13 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues