"Islands in the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau by dlandt

Nassau Travel Guide: 660 reviews and 1,345 photos

We know the Bahamas for...

We know the Bahamas as a place we go for vacation. These low lying, sandy islands are nearly a paradise temptingly close ot our shores, only 50 miles from Florida. When we think of it, we think of rum floaters, white sand, colorful fish, and deep red sunsets. Water abounds, and so do water sports, all accompanied by friendly Islander accents.

But there is another bright side to the Bahamas

... and it lies outside the sun. Its the tradition of Empire and Commonwealth, Pax Brittanica and Queen V. Represented at the UN and periodocally making contributions to the world through Caricom and other international bodies, a few hours spent simply watching the news proved as entertaining as it was informative.

Beyond the water tower

An awful lot of the Bahamas looks like this. Not technically in the Caribbean, the Bahamas has its share of the region's endemic poverty and hardships. Prices can be high, while salaries can be low. "Alla dem got rastaman gangster boyfriend" said a local to me while we watched a group of young women, sipping sweet fruit punch. The news, their music videos, a lot of the things that go into daily life aren't always the paradise we know the Bahamas for.

• Pros:Sun surf and sand; food drink and laughs
  • Cons:Awfully touristy
  • In a nutshell:This is where you go for vacation
  • Last visit to Nassau: Jul 2004
  • Intro Written Jul 22, 2004

• Feb 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I love the tip on the Bahama Beer! I will make sure I try one when I'm there. I'll be visiting on a cruise in a couple of months... Thanks for posting the great tips!

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM

The Fort looks interesting. But, please talk me out of it, lol! I just know I will regret going on another cruise...but nice photos:)

• Southernfireman's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I visited the water tower on March 13, 2009 and the water tower was not opened. It appeared to not have been open for a while (rusty locks and all). I don't know the current status of tours for this site, there was noone there to ask.

• Oct 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM

why would you teach your child and others to be a thief

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Great page Dave!

• Feb 1, 2008 at 7:30 AM

Wow.. your pages are great. I learned so much about the Bahamas. Do you know if it is ok for Americans to drink water from the tap, or is it all bottled water all the time?

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Nice page. It's refreshing to get honest reviews about hotels, resorts and overpriced tours.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Excellent page here; My ratings are definitely with you! I agree - it's a shame how "touristy" such nations become, but tourist-dollars bring the worst out of any country, don't they? Thanks for sharing / greetings from the desert :-) Jess

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 12:46 AM

I stayed at the same venue as you in Nassau.

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Dave your page was a great find! We are taking a cruise and will be in Nassau for 24 hours. You have alot of good information. Thanks TCM =^oo^=

dlandt