"Andorra, Petite Gem of the Pyrenees" Top 5 Page for this destination Andorra by dlandt
Andorra Travel Guide: 542 reviews and 1,232 photos
Andorra is a very small country, and, despite the sign I'm standing before, is not a member of the European Union. In fact, until very recently it had one of the world's oldest functioning constitutions, which is another way of saying it had a medieval government.
Today, Andorra resembles any of the towns found in neighboring France and Spain, just with mountains. Andorra is perched high in the Pyrenees, and there really aren't that many towns nearby. At one time, the country was a haven for smugglers. Now it is a haven for duty free shopping.
I deliberately came to Andorra on a road trip, just to see it and get to the other side of the Pyrenees. More or less, I didn't know what to expect. It struck me as a little bigger than I'd imagined, and reminded me of a laid back Liechtenstein, and just proved to be worth the day and a night we spent here.
At first arrival, I couldn't believe the traffic, and thought I must have chosen to spend the night in some kind of auto-aerie or something, but the traffic faded, and we enjoyed the visit from there.
Miyuki liked the mountains here above all else. We didn't do any hiking or enjoy the mountains in the traditional sense, and those of you who kmow me know why this had to be for this trip. We did enjoy the scenery, and one memory I failed to photograph, are the nets aove the towns protecting them from rockfalls. Andorran towns are built at the bottom of valleys, not at the top of mountains. This picture indicates the amunt of snow in the higher altitudes.
If you are in the neighborhood, or just crossing the Pyrenees, Andorra is worth a visit, not just for the duty-free shopping and to fill your gas tank, but to see the mountains and stroll the streets as well.
- Pros:Charming mountains and scenery, duty-free, and pleasant
- Cons:Bad traffic at times, small, and not used to tourists
- In a nutshell:Andorra is worth a visit
Behind the monastery lies the old monastery. If you poke your nose around a little you can find it. The inside has been... more travel advice
Just outside of the small town of Canilo is the monastery at Meritxell. Two turns up the road and you will find the... more travel advice
dlandt's Related Pages
Andorra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great, mountainous, little principality!"
- "ANDORRA, the country at Pyrenees."
- "EL PAIS DELS PIRINEUS"
- "Jewel in the Middle of Pyrenees"
- "Andorra, Petite Gem of the Pyrenees"
- "THE SMALLEST COUNTRY IN THE IBERIAN PENINSULA"
- "The Small Mountain Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andorra
- Hotels in Andorra
- Transportation in Andorra
- Nightlife in Andorra
- Restaurants in Andorra
- Shopping in Andorra
- Warnings and Dangers in Andorra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andorra
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Andorra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andorra
- updated a Andorra Travel Page "Andorra, Petite Gem of the Pyrenees"
- Posted in Travel Chisinau Forum "Re: English, German, Italian or..."
- Commented on one of DSwede's Andorra travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A pretty place called Andorra"
- Wrote a Review The Old Monastery at Meritxell in Andorra Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues