"Andorra, Petite Gem of the Pyrenees" Top 5 Page for this destination Andorra by dlandt

Andorra Travel Guide: 495 reviews and 1,040 photos

Andorra

Andorra is a very small country, and, despite the sign I'm standing before, is not a member of the European Union. In fact, until very recently it had one of the world's oldest functioning constitutions, which is another way of saying it had a medieval government.

Today, Andorra resembles any of the towns found in neighboring France and Spain, just with mountains. Andorra is perched high in the Pyrenees, and there really aren't that many towns nearby. At one time, the country was a haven for smugglers. Now it is a haven for duty free shopping.

An Interesting Place

I deliberately came to Andorra on a road trip, just to see it and get to the other side of the Pyrenees. More or less, I didn't know what to expect. It struck me as a little bigger than I'd imagined, and reminded me of a laid back Liechtenstein, and just proved to be worth the day and a night we spent here.

At first arrival, I couldn't believe the traffic, and thought I must have chosen to spend the night in some kind of auto-aerie or something, but the traffic faded, and we enjoyed the visit from there.

The Pyrenees

Miyuki liked the mountains here above all else. We didn't do any hiking or enjoy the mountains in the traditional sense, and those of you who kmow me know why this had to be for this trip. We did enjoy the scenery, and one memory I failed to photograph, are the nets aove the towns protecting them from rockfalls. Andorran towns are built at the bottom of valleys, not at the top of mountains. This picture indicates the amunt of snow in the higher altitudes.

If you are in the neighborhood, or just crossing the Pyrenees, Andorra is worth a visit, not just for the duty-free shopping and to fill your gas tank, but to see the mountains and stroll the streets as well.

• Pros:Charming mountains and scenery, duty-free, and pleasant
  • Cons:Bad traffic at times, small, and not used to tourists
  • In a nutshell:Andorra is worth a visit
  • Last visit to Andorra: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2005

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, i bought a shirt in this tax-free city. Why isn't Chicago a tax-free city? That would be a fun.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 10:40 AM

What an amazing little country! Sounds like a fun and beautiful place to visit. Great photos!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Did you know that Catalan is most similar to Romanian... both lands held by the ancient Romans. // Well, I found the Meritxell village by chance... but had a pleasant visit. Put you beat me to it by writing it up.

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 4:44 PM

Thanks, your AnDORRA pics are aDORAble!

• mickeyjane1's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM

Nice tips, cheers, interested in going in summer though,

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 4:06 AM

Interesting pages, interesting tips. Thanks for sharing...

• Jul 9, 2005 at 12:42 PM

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood" - now that's a motto I can like... :-) Andorra is yet another place I'd like to visit - nice pics here! ~Mette~

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 1:34 PM

Actually, you can walk across the country - just like Liechtenstein:-] Maybe July is a better time for it though. Great pictures and appreciate the madonna-ettiquitte!

• quime's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 8:09 AM

Wow, i do like this country, havent been there yet but your pics really helps!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 3:29 AM

Very good and interesting info. My general impressions are similar to yours. I liked most the mountains around and some small architectural pearls as well.

dlandt Visits Here Frequently!

dlandt

“Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Badges & Stats in Andorra

Have you been to Andorra?