"Berlin - City of Shadows - Under construction" Berlin by dlandt

Berlin Travel Guide: 6,919 reviews and 15,573 photos

under construction

Berlin is not the Berlin it as when I was growing up. At that time, we thought the Wall could last forever, and the Cold War would extend beyond our grandchildren's time. The entire structure of the world, personified by Berlin, seemed as intransigent as the moon, but we were wrong. History and progress have changed the world, and Berlin. We witnessed happy crowds smashing the Wall with sledgehammers or pickaxes, and Trabbies driving through the gaps. The old Berlin is gone, the new Berlin has arrived.

The City of Shadows

Berlin has always been a city of shadows, long before the Cold War whose shadow still lies over Berlin. Before the Cold War you could feel the shadow of WWII and the Nazis, and before that, the shadow of failed revolution and years of dictatorship as Bismarck built the Prussian Empire into the German Empire through "blood and iron". Nor was Brandenburg a happy place prior to Bismarck, under the Junckers. Yet between these shadows youalways find a bright side to Berlin. The decadent but happy years of the Weimar Republic lived in Berlin, and in the 1960s hippies and artists lived and thrived in the West. Today, Berlin lives in such a time, a time of building and prosperity, living its life ot the fullest before the next shadow is cast on her.

Always the city of shadows.

I remember the first time I came to Berlin, I felt the shadow of the greatest war ever fought
I remember reading about Berlin in the Weimar days, and how the shadow of the Kaiser's dictatorship lay over the city
I remember looking out over a new Berlin, and seeing the long shadow of Russia and the Cold War
I remember many Berlins, a city of art and culture, a city of happiness
And I remember the shadows of Berlin, for they are Berlin

• Pros:Magnificent yet tragic
  • Cons:Ther eis something sad, yet happy about Berlin
  • In a nutshell:There will never be a city quite like Berlin
  • Last visit to Berlin: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2006

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Excellent Berlin page. Berlin is a beautiful city. We are going to visit Berlin one day. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Thanks. Like your thoughts and second thoughts about Berlin a lot! Good ol' gal Maria

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Magnificent museums and buildings in Berlin. Great page here. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 3:01 AM

Ja I like this page! Nice tips and pics. Berlin is on my wish list too. Have a nice Sunday. bye.

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 6:14 PM

great comments and great photo`s dave .....kennneth

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Interesting commentary on Berlin. I have never been there, but now have a pretty good idea what it's like. Nice photos, as always :)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 3:43 AM

Great tips! I can almost smell the food slow cooking as I sit there with a lager in my lap! Hmmmm...das ist gut.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Hi Dave, the slow food and beer sound soooo good. I just came back from Iceland. Next month --- Chicago!!! :)

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Great restaurant tips. Now I'm hungry.

dlandt

“Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Badges & Stats in Berlin