"Berlin - City of Shadows - Under construction" Berlin by dlandt
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,952 reviews and 15,578 photos
Berlin is not the Berlin it as when I was growing up. At that time, we thought the Wall could last forever, and the Cold War would extend beyond our grandchildren's time. The entire structure of the world, personified by Berlin, seemed as intransigent as the moon, but we were wrong. History and progress have changed the world, and Berlin. We witnessed happy crowds smashing the Wall with sledgehammers or pickaxes, and Trabbies driving through the gaps. The old Berlin is gone, the new Berlin has arrived.
Berlin has always been a city of shadows, long before the Cold War whose shadow still lies over Berlin. Before the Cold War you could feel the shadow of WWII and the Nazis, and before that, the shadow of failed revolution and years of dictatorship as Bismarck built the Prussian Empire into the German Empire through "blood and iron". Nor was Brandenburg a happy place prior to Bismarck, under the Junckers. Yet between these shadows youalways find a bright side to Berlin. The decadent but happy years of the Weimar Republic lived in Berlin, and in the 1960s hippies and artists lived and thrived in the West. Today, Berlin lives in such a time, a time of building and prosperity, living its life ot the fullest before the next shadow is cast on her.
I remember the first time I came to Berlin, I felt the shadow of the greatest war ever fought
I remember reading about Berlin in the Weimar days, and how the shadow of the Kaiser's dictatorship lay over the city
I remember looking out over a new Berlin, and seeing the long shadow of Russia and the Cold War
I remember many Berlins, a city of art and culture, a city of happiness
And I remember the shadows of Berlin, for they are Berlin
- Pros:Magnificent yet tragic
- Cons:Ther eis something sad, yet happy about Berlin
- In a nutshell:There will never be a city quite like Berlin
At the center of Kurfuerstendamm lies the of a ruined, Kaiser-era church that has been left unrepaired so that Germany... more travel advice
Not one of the oldest churches anywhere, the Berliner Dom was built in 1894, the third church of substance to occupy the... more travel advice
- See All Speaking German in Berlin
- See All Berthold Brecht Hause and Gravesite
- See All Brandenburger Gate err Construction Site
dlandt's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Berlin .... und das ist gut so!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 24 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Predjama castle from Venice"
- Wrote a Review Speaking German in Berlin about Language in Berlin Local Customs
- updated a Berlin Travel Page "Berlin - City of Shadows - Under construction"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Berlin - City of Shadows - Under construction"
- Commented on one of Pomska's Berlin travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 58 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 36 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokushima Intro, 35 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin Intro, 42 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 24 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues