"Sighisoara, Transilvania" Sighisoara by Tom1971
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 392 reviews and 1,070 photos
Sighisoara is a small market town in Transilvania, central Romania. At the heart of the town is a walled citadel dating from the middle ages that is still inhabited today. The citadel thankfully escaped Ceasescu's systemisation that razed to the ground many historical buildings in the name of concrete conformity, and it is now listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The medieval part of the town is small and can be explored to saturation in 2 or 3 days. If you are planning to stay longer there are a number of places nearby that can be seen in a day. Medias, another originally Saxon town, is less than half an hour away by train and Biertan, a picturesque Saxon village is easily reachable by bus or car.
The atmosphere of the town changes over the course of the year. The Medieval festival in July brings a large number of mostly young Romanian visitors, and throughout the summer months there are a lot of international tourists passing through, so if you're travelling across Europe and want to meet other travellers this is a good time to go. If you prefer peace and quiet and want to explore the citadel in relative solitude then autumn and spring are the best times to visit. The Christmas and New Year celebrations are great, as anywhere in Romania, if you know people locally, otherwise you might feel a bit left out.
Sighisoara is on the main Budapest - Bucharest train line and easily accessible by road. There are plenty of budget and luxury accomodation options and enough to see in the citadel and surrounding area to keep a traveller busy for a few days, as well as several restaurants, bars and a couple of clubs.
For more information on and photos of Sighisoara check out my travelogues & tips.
- Pros:Nice architecture, wide choice of accomdation, lots of history
- Cons:Limited nightlife, historical area small so not ideal for a long visit
- In a nutshell:medieval town in pleasent countryside, easy to get to
Locals selling seasonal fruit and veg as well as sweet and savoury preserves set up on Wednesdays and Saturdays at the... more travel advice
On top of the hill behind the train station (dealul garii, or station hill) there is a small campsite. There are about... more travel advice
Tom1971's Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- "SIGHISOARA - A must visit!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Mongolia Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 21 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Suceava Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lake District National Park Intro, 17 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- China Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Sighisoara hotel reviews
- Nathans Villa Sighisoara
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- Burg Hostel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel Binder Bubi
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Casa Wagner
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Legend House
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Gia Hostel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2012
- Hotel Restaurant Europa 2000
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2009
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013