Tulum Things to Do Tips by leffe3
Tulum Things to Do: 180 reviews and 301 photos
Staying in Tulum is as much about incorporating the beach as it is a trip to visit the ruins. The coast south (the Zona Hotelera) is fairly well developed as far as tourist infrastructure but is about discretion! Tulum has not tried in any shape or form to be a mini Cancun. It is more about cabanas style than concrete blocks. And as this bit of coast is a series of rocky coves and small bays, the hotels tend to merge with the landscape (with one or two notable exceptions - but even these are not concrete monstrosities).
White sands, azure seas and as it is fairly rocky, not bad for snorkelling.
5000 sq kms of tropical jungle, marsh, mangrove and islands, Sian Ka'an (Where the Sky Begins) is a World Heritage Site and well worth a visit. You can do it yourself as the road form Tulum to Punta Allen runs through it, but it best appreciated on an organised day trip as this involves a boat trip through the swamps, lunch on the beach and rubber-tyre aided 'swim' (the currents are so fast you don't have to work very hard!) down a crocodile infested creek (fear not - the boats block the water junctions once ensuring the creek is croc-free!).
One of the best places to organise a trip is at Cabanas de Ana y Jose, the last hotel on the stretch of beach prior to the Reserva.
Directions: Trips start from Ana y Jose, the hotel closest to the Reserve (and furthest south along the coast from the ruins)
Not surprisingly, the ruins are the main attraction in Tulum. Settled around 900-1200, the City of Dawn is a smallish settlement without any major pyramid or sights - mainly as it is the result of the Mayan civilisation in decline. In many ways it resembles more of a fortress than any of the other major sites - it is surrounded on 3 sides by thick walls (the 4th side being the natural defence of the sea). It's its location that makes it a major attraction, but the ruins themselves are still worth 2-3 hours pottering around (and you can always go to the beach once you have finished!)
More Reviews (7)
leffe3's Related Pages
Tulum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ruins and the Cove of Tulum & Caribbean Sea"
- "TULUM - maya ruins, white beaches and turquise sea"
- "Ahhhhh. The Yucatan"
- "TULUM ---- ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tulum
- Hotels in Tulum
- Transportation in Tulum
- Nightlife in Tulum
- Restaurants in Tulum
- Shopping in Tulum
- Warnings and Dangers in Tulum
- See All...
Explore the World
- Presque Isle Hotels
- Vojtanov Hotels
- Chiayi Hotels
- Nea Paphos City-Site Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tulum
- 10 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Tulum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tulum
- Posted in Travel Melbourne Forum "Re: Melbourne - Great Ocean Rd"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gallery/restaurant"
- updated a Tulum Travel Page "Ruins, beaches, cocktails...."
- Commented on one of bdwoot's Tulum travel pages
- Wrote a Review Reserva de la Biosfera Sian Ka'an about Sian Ka an Biosphere Reserve in Tulum Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (47)
Latest Tulum hotel reviews
- Luna Maya
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Ocho Tulum
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2012
- Hotel Playa Kin Ha
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Diamante K
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Cabanas La Luna
- 277 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Tulum Hostel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 24, 2012
- Hamaca Loca
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2011
- Lobo Inn
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2013
- Cabanas Tulum
- 383 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Cabanas Retiro Maya
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa All Inclusive
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Tulum Ruins- 53 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Beaches- 28 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Gran Cenote- 10 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Tulum Town- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Coba Pyramids- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Temple of the Descending God- 11 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Sian Ka an Biosphere Reserve- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Los Voladores- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- El Castillo- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Snorkeling- 5 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All Tulum Things to Do