"Ruins, beaches, cocktails...." Tulum by leffe3
Tulum Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,356 photos
OK, so the ruins at Tulum are no where near as impressive as those in Chichen Itza and Uxmal. No astounding pyramid, glorious frescoes etc (apparently Tulum - the 'City of Dawn' - is a result of the Mayan civilisation in decline). But what it does have is location. The azure blue waters of the Caribbean lap the cliffs on which Tulum stands, thus making it pretty unique in terms of Yucatan ruins.
There are several Tulums.
Tulum Crucero is to be found on the main road that runs north to Cancun. This is about 3kms inland from the coast. From Crucero, a road runs due east/west to the coast, and connects with the coastal road to Tulum Ruinas and Tulum Zona Hotelera (approximately 8kms of delightful bays and beaches, interspersed with hotels of various size and architecture (but thankfully not over commercialised).
Tulum Puebla is the modern town and is probably unlikely to be of interest to tourists.
To the south of Tulum along the coastal road is the stunning Biosfera Sian Ka'an - over 5000 sq kms of tropical jungle, marsh, mangroves and islands and is an appointed UN World Heritage Site/
5000 sq kms of tropical jungle, marsh, mangrove and islands, Sian Ka'an (Where the Sky Begins) is a World Heritage Site... more travel advice
Fantastic Italian restaurant as part of the hotel. Set on the beach, looking into the little bay on which the hotel is... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Tulum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ruins and the Cove of Tulum & Caribbean Sea"
- "TULUM - maya ruins, white beaches and turquise sea"
- "Ahhhhh. The Yucatan"
- "TULUM ---- ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tulum
- Hotels in Tulum
- Transportation in Tulum
- Nightlife in Tulum
- Restaurants in Tulum
- Shopping in Tulum
- Warnings and Dangers in Tulum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tulum
- 10 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Tulum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tulum
- Posted in Travel Melbourne Forum "Re: Melbourne - Great Ocean Rd"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gallery/restaurant"
- updated a Tulum Travel Page "Ruins, beaches, cocktails...."
- Commented on one of bdwoot's Tulum travel pages
- Wrote a Review Reserva de la Biosfera Sian Ka'an about Sian Ka an Biosphere Reserve in Tulum Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos