"Uxmal" Ruinas Uxmal by leffe3
Ruinas Uxmal Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
Set in the Puuc Hills about 80kms from Merida, Uxmal was first settled around 600AD. Uxmal is the Mayan for thrice built, but Uxmal was apparently rebuilt 5 times. Abandoned around 900, it is believed that this was due to the lack of water in the area (it is no coincidence that Chac, the Rain God, features heavily at Uxmal) and the rise of Chichen Itza.
Rediscovered in the 19th century and although first excavated in 1929, there is stilll a great deal more to be uncovered.
Adjacent to the Governor's Palace is the Great Pyramid. Unlike most other Mayan sites, the Pyramid in Uxmal is not the... more travel advice
Some 100 metres long, the Governor's Palace is a magnificent building and seen as the best example of Puuc style... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Ruinas Uxmal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mayan ruins at Uxmal"
- "The Amazing Mayan Ruins at Uxmal"
- "Uxmal, an ancient Mayan city"
- "Mayan Wonderland!"
- "Impressions of Uxmal"
- "Pyramid of the Magician"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruinas Uxmal
- Hotels in Ruinas Uxmal
- Transportation in Ruinas Uxmal
- Nightlife in Ruinas Uxmal
- Restaurants in Ruinas Uxmal
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas Uxmal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruinas Uxmal
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Ruinas Uxmal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas Uxmal
Photos in Ruinas UxmalSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos