"Victoria" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria by leffe3
State of Victoria Travel Guide: 6,327 reviews and 15,675 photos
The smallest of the mainland states (only Tassie is smaller) and yet arguably the most diverse, both physically and socially.
Travel to Victoria and you will get spectacular coastline, mountain vistas, cool-temperate rainforests, sun-baked near-deserts (although you will not get the red, red dust that many believe typifies Australia).
One of the reasons for this is that Victoria (along with Tassie) experiences the 'worst' of Australian weather.There's 4 seasons (with the joke being that Melbourne frequently experiences all 4 in one day), with rain thoughout the year, but it can reach the high 30s, low 40s centigrade in the summer months.
First there's Melbourne, 2nd largest Australian city, the fomer capital (1901-27) when the Federation of Australia was declared and is now regarded as the cultural, culinary, sporting, shopping and fashion capital of the country. Its a vibrant 'European' city.
To the south is the spectacular coast, with the Great Ocean Rd one of the great drives of the world. Fantastic beaches, a surfers paradise (if a little cold due to the fact that the Southern Ocean is coming straight off Antarctica) typifies the whole coastline.
But just a few hours drive of Melbourne to the north-east are the Australian Alps and winter skiing opportunities: head north-west to the Mallee region and this is semi-arid wilderness country.
And there's everything else in between. And with 30+ National Parks, the state is geared towards visitors enjoying the State.
Add to the physical diversity the cultural diversity - Melbourne and Victoria grew extremely wealthy (and quickly) as a result of the massive goldfields discovered in the 1850s - and it will give you some idea of the influences and cultural development of the State.
As far as these pages are concerned, I have grouped the tips in relation to the Visit Victoria classification, using Melbourne as the centre.
1: Melbourne (see separate pages)
2: Great Ocean Rd (includes Bellarine Peninsula - approx 1.5 - 5 hours south west of Melbourne: Victoria's western coastline to the South Australian border)
3: Macedon Ranges/Spa Country (includes Daylesford - approx 1 - 1.5 hours west of central Melbourne
4: Yarra Valley/Dandenongs (includes Healesville - approx 1 - 1.5 hours east of central Melbourne
5: Mornington Peninsula (includes Sorrento - approx 1 hour south east of Melbourne)
6: Phillip Island (2 - 2.5 hours south east of Melbourne)
7: Goldfields (includes Ballarat & Bendigo - 1.5 - 4 hours north west of Melbourne)
8: Grampians (includes Ararat & Hamilton - 3 - 6 hours west of Melbourne)
9: Legends, Wine & High Country (includes Alps, Beechworth - 1.5 - 5 hours north east of
10: Gippsland (includes Wilson's Prom NP and 90 Mile Beach - 1.5 - 6 hours from Melbourne: Victoria's eastern coastline to the New South Wales border)
11: The Murray (the course of the mighty river - 2.5 - 7 hours north/north east/north west from
Melbourne: forms the inland border between Victoria and NSW and Victoria and South Australia
A few miles further south from Portarlington around the bay is another low-key holiday resort, St Leonards. There's not... more travel advice
I've got a weak spot for Metung, a small village found at the tip of a narrow, sandy peninsula jutting into the... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
State of Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second State, Home State while in Australia!"
- "Sweetberry's Victoria Page"
- "Discovering Victoria's Secrets"
- "The Mighty "Murray River""
- "Ballarat Botanical Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Victoria
- Hotels in State of Victoria
- Transportation in State of Victoria
- Nightlife in State of Victoria
- Restaurants in State of Victoria
- Shopping in State of Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Victoria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in State of Victoria
- 250 Reviews
- 808 Photos
- 250 Forum posts
- 21 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to State of Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Victoria
- Posted in Travel Melbourne Forum "Re: Melbourne - Great Ocean Rd"
- Wrote a Review St Leonards (Great Ocean Rd/Bellarine Peninsula) about Great Ocean Road in State of Victoria Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Leonards (Great Ocean Rd/Bellarine Peninsula)"
- updated a State of Victoria Travel Page "Victoria"
- Commented on one of ankx's State of Victoria travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Top State of Victoria hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3371 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Daylesford Hotels
- 122 Reviews - 271 Photos
- Lorne Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Warrnambool Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 138 Photos
- Apollo Bay Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 131 Photos
- Coldstream Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Cowes Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Ballarat Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 492 Photos
- Saint Leonards Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Lakes Entrance Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Echuca Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Epping Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Thomastown Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Camberwell Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 10 Photos