"Veszprem" Top 5 Page for this destination Veszprem by leffe3
Veszprem Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 215 photos
A visit to a friend in Budapest over Easter resulted in the unexpected overnight trip to Veszprem to see her parents. And what a visit in turned out to be. To be honest, I had never heard of the place and didn't know what to expect. We arrived at night for dinner and had an incredibly hilarious evening - Andrea's father spoke no English - only Hungarian (which I certainly didn't speak) and some German. So, around the dinner table, helped by copious amounts of schnapps, an incredible series of conversations were had in a mix of Hungarian, English and German (and strangely, we understood each other better as the evening progressed and more schnapps was drunk :)). So I certainly have very fond memories (what I can remember of it) of the town (helped in the morning by being served coffee and small amount of that schnapps as a hair of the dog!).
But Veszprem. It would never have been on my list of places visited without Andrea. And what a beautiful town it is.
Spread over 5 hills with a walled castle district sitting atop a plateau. It's like walking through a living museum (but freezing though - the local legend is that it's 'either the wind is blowing or the bells are ringing' - that day the wind was certainly blowing, occasionally bringing bursts of snow).
Not settled until the 10th century, a bishopric was founded and it developed as an eductional and religious centre, with a university established in the 13th century. The castle and all its medieval buildings were destroyed either by the Habsburgs in 1702 or the Rákoczi independence war shortly after. But instead of going into decline, the Golden Age of Vezsprem kicked in. So that's what we see today - more so as the hold of the church was such that they prevented the main railway line coming through the town in the 19th century.
It's a small centre, but all the more interesting for it - you do not get an overkill of visual bombardment.
30 kms south west of Vészprem is Tihany on the shores of Lake Balaton. Found on the tip of a small headland jutting into... more travel advice
Sitting proudly on the right hand side of the Town Square (as you come from the entrance of Castle Hill) is the Bishop's... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Veszprem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Veszprém-Simply amazing!"
- "Veszprem - An appealing Hungarian town"
- "My Time In Veszprem"
- "Veszprem (?? km from Balaton lake)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veszprem
- Hotels in Veszprem
- Transportation in Veszprem
- Nightlife in Veszprem
- Restaurants in Veszprem
- Warnings and Dangers in Veszprem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veszprem
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Veszprem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veszprem
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (47)
Latest Veszprem hotel reviews
- Betekints Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013