"Monemvasia" Top 5 Page for this destination Monemvasia by leffe3
Monemvasia Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 129 photos
The Gibralter of the eastern Mediterranean, an impregnable 'island rock', Monemvasia was the medieval seaport and commercial centre of the Byzantine Peloponnese.
The name speaks for itself - a derivation of 'Moni Emvasis' - single entrance, a reference to the single causeway/bridge that connected it to the mainland.
Founded in the 6th century, the town/island remained in the hands of the Byzantines for almost 700 years, falling to the Turks in 1540. It this time it had become extremely wealthy, but Turkish rule precipitated a steady decline in importance, wealth and therefore population.
Other than a brief prosperous interlude in the 17th century, Monemvasia's more recent historical signficance was in 1821 when it became the first Turkish garrison to fall in the War of Independence.
Nowadays its little more than a monument to the past - with only some 10 families in permanent residence (at its peak it is estimated that some 60,000 people lived here).
An extraordinary sea journey along the east coast of the Peloponnese from Hydra (and Piraeus) takes you past small... more travel advice
Vast, ruinous, steep - the Upper Town plateau is a mine field of exploration - old foundations, cisterns, broken down... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Monemvasia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gibraltar of Greece"
- "This one is 4 U, Peace..."
- "a medieval love nest"
- "Moni emvasia, one entrance"
- "Live your myth in the castle"
- "Monemvasia - Gibraltar of the East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monemvasia
- Hotels in Monemvasia
- Transportation in Monemvasia
- Nightlife in Monemvasia
- Restaurants in Monemvasia
- Shopping in Monemvasia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monemvasia
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Monemvasia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monemvasia
Photos in MonemvasiaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos