"Arundel" Top 5 Page for this destination Arundel by leffe3
Arundel Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 191 photos
A small market town (population of about 3,500) built on the River Arun just a few miles inland from the sea, the genteel Arundel is the seat of the Duke of Norfolk and the catholic Bishop of Arundel/Brighton.
The main attraction is the stunning Arundel Castle, principle residence of the Duke of Norfolk: the Howards being one of the most powerful catholic families in England, a position they have held for many centuries. The family came into possession of Arundel in the 16th century, but by then it already had a 500 year chequered history, having originally been built in 1068 by William the Conqueror.
But Arundel is not just about the castle. The stunning 19th century cathedral, commissioned by the 15th Duke of Norfolk 40 years after the legalisation of Roman Catholic dioceses in England, sits overlooking the town. And below, the narrow streets clambering the steep hill away from the River Arun, is a gamut of history reflecting its medieval footprint. A large part of the town around the castle and cathedral is a designated Conservation Area.
The Arundel Food Festival takes placed every October. The annual cricket game between an invitation XI and the previous year's county champions is the traditional curtain-raiser for the new season at one of the most picturesque grounds in the country (the castle as a stunning backdrop).
My beloved Pizza Express chain:) I've mentioned them before and will continue to do so as one of the few food chains... more travel advice
Small and compact, Arundel is a delightful little market town with 4 or 5 streets of particular interest to casual... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Arundel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Duke of Norfolk"
- "Arundel Castle"
- "Arundel and its impressive castle"
- "Arundel Castle & Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arundel
- Hotels in Arundel
- Transportation in Arundel
- Restaurants in Arundel
- Shopping in Arundel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arundel
- 11 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Arundel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arundel
Photos in ArundelSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos