"Henley-in-Arden" Henley in Arden by leffe3
Henley in Arden Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 31 photos
Henley can boast almost a thousand years of history, although in its early days it was a parish of Wootten Wawen, a town a few miles away.
Henley (Anglo Saxon for 'high clearing') came into its own in the late 12th century, a market venue for the castle of Beaudesert and the de Montfort family (Beaudesert was built in earlier in the century). The castle was laid to waste in 1265, but the market town flourished, being on the busy Birmingham to Stratford route and having received its official market charter in 1221. It was plundered in the English Civil War in 1643 but the town seems to managed to avoid extensive involvement in any major events and simply 'got on' with being a successful market town.
The town is fairly small - less than 3,000 inhabitants - but it's mile long High Street is a registered conservation area, containing over 150 buildings listed as being of special architectural or historical interest. The oldest is the Joseph Hardy House - now the Heritage Centre - parts of which have been dated to 1345. In the centre of town is the 15th century market cross, one of only a few left in Warwickshire.
This, along with the many 'olde world' pubs, award-winning restaurants, the market and the famed Henley Ice Cream bring visitors in their droves. And it's a worthwhile visit - one of my personal favourite historic towns near to Birmingham (as a young adult, friends would drive out to sample some the real ales at the historic pubs).
But the real attraction of Henley is simply wandering along the High Street, nipping down little alleyways. With 150... more travel advice
Henley's Parish church is St John's, which sits proudly on the main street, it's tower towering (!) over the... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Henley in Arden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An old market town with a Medieval theme."
- "Henley in Arden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Henley in Arden
- Transportation in Henley in Arden
- Restaurants in Henley in Arden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Henley in Arden
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Henley in Arden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Henley in Arden
Photos in Henley in ArdenSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos