"Mungo National Park" Mungo National Park by leffe3
Mungo National Park Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
Mungo Park is the centre of the World Heritage Wilandra Lakes area. A large part of it is actually a dried out lake bed (no water for several thousand years - although occasionally, an unsuspecting tourist has been known to turn up with cruiser in tow. At neary 90,000 hectares and still referred to on some maps as Lake Mungo, the promise of isolated water cruising .....).
Evidence has shown some 40,000 years of continued aboriginal life and within the park there are the more recent abandoned homesteads and out station buildings of two pastoral stations. Aside from the dried out lake ( a vast flat area of low-lying vegetation) and virtually undisturbed mallee scrub, Mungo's claim to fame is the spectacular 'Walls of China', a 33km crescent of eroded dunes, creating stunning rock formations.
Its isolated position and access via unsealed roads only for the last 100kms make it a remote destination. Its almost 1000kms west of Sydney. Closest towns are Mildura (110kms) and Balnarad (150kms) although there is the comfortable Mungo Lodge a couple of kms from the main gate (licensed restaurant) and basic camping facilities in the Park itself if you want to stay overnight.
The best access road is via the Silver City Highway (Mildura/Wentworth - Box Hill) - its slightly longer than the unsealed road providing access direct from Mildura/Wentworth, but its in better condition. But both are unuseable after rain.
leffe3's Related Pages
Mungo National Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Mungo National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Mungo National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mungo National Park
Photos in Mungo National ParkSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos