"Tsavo East" Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park East by leffe3

Tsavo National Park East Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 293 photos

Its bigger than Wales!!!!

I was like a 5 year old, so excited was I when I booked the 2 day safari from Malindi. Couple hundred dollars it may have been, but this was a dream come true within the realms of affordability - even if it meant getting up at 5am!

Collected at the hotel in the centre of Malindi, stop off at Watamou and the various beach hotels there and we were off into the interior and a 3 hour drive. Coffee stop (and tourist paraphanalia shopping opps) meant fellow travellers had chance to wake up and get to know each other a bit better. Weird that we were all either Brits or Irish! We were to spend the next two days together so worth getting to know each other for sure.

In the park by about 830am - mornings and twilight being the best time for animal spotting. And as you will read in the tips, we struck gold with our guide and the sightings.

Format was approx 3 hour drive, stop for lunch (longer than anticipated as we got a puncture - so we went swimming at the pool of the rest stop!), drive to the hotel through stunning countryside, dinner at the hotel, relatively early night as pre-breakfast game drive at 6am - 2 hours of that (including a pretty close sticky-beak at Kilimanjaro - although probably hundereds of miles away in real terms-:)), departure around 11am and a 5 hour drive back to the coast. Pretty exhausting but worth every minute of it.
Under construction

My first elephant (and it wasn't to be the last). Look in the bushes to the right - you can see a baby copying - mom? dad? - with its trunk.

• Last visit to Tsavo National Park East: Mar 1996
  • Intro Updated Feb 28, 2004

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Always love to read and see tips of places I once visited. You should be lucky with such a big tent
    :))
    btw. your name is a famous Belgian beer

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 5:05 AM

Nice animal pics Keith. There is no place like Kenya and it's parks

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Wow, that looks one one fantastic game safari you went on!! Great photos of the game and well written too. I had to laugh at your Hilton tip! I always regret having driven past Tsavo on my way from Nairobi to Mombasa many years ago!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2006 at 5:31 PM

great safari pics!

• CeciliaL's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Great information and a fun place!! I love the pictures.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 1:11 AM

What a fantastic experience..Thanks for sharing it..

• JellyTrollMorton's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2004 at 4:27 AM

Great pictures. The guys that you labeled as Elands? are waterbuck, the springbok? looks like a greater kudu, and I am guessing the last eland guess is a tsessebe or a hartebeest.

• laughingsun69's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2004 at 8:51 AM

Tsavo looks great Keith ,some great wildlife shots here ,especailly of the elephants in full swing there an awsome sight :)

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2004 at 4:48 AM

From the Hilton on stilts or from the jeep, I'll take this adventure as well.

• hgchuy's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2003 at 9:36 AM

And this one is a Hartebeast. :-)

leffe3

“Be well, eat well - and laugh”

Badges & Stats in Tsavo National Park East

Have you been to Tsavo National Park East?

Latest Activity in Tsavo National Park East