"Idfu/Edfu" Idfu by leffe3
Idfu Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 94 photos
Although 115kms south of Luxor, Idfu is generally one of the first stops on the River Cruises out of Luxor - especially those leaving port in the evening - the overnight cruise down the river and arrival either prior to breakfast or certainly close therein.
It has the best preserved cult temple in Egypt as its main attraction - the Temple of Horus, the Falcon god.
Originally the sky god, Horus was assimiliated into Osirian legend and became the child of Isis and Osiris. Raised in the delta swamps, Horus set out to avenge the murder of his father Osiris by his uncle Seth. A huge battle, with Horus only prevailing by the intervention of his mother (Horus, meanwhile had lost an eye and his uncle Seth - well, let's just say he wouldn't be siring any more children). Osiris was called from the underworld to make judgement and Seth was banished to the wilderness and Horus awarded the throne, with Osiris living through his son. (Sound familiar?)
All Pharoahs from here on in claimed to be the incarnation of Horus.
Leaving Luxor and approaching Edfu, small settlements on the banks of the Nile are constantly in view, highlighting a... more travel advice
At the main entrance of the Pylon into the Temple and the Court of Offerings are two statues of falcons/Horus. Only one... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Idfu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Temple of Horus at Edfu"
- "FALCON GOD HORUS"
- "Noodlet's Idfu page"
- "Edfu !!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Idfu
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Idfu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Idfu
Photos in IdfuSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos