"Waitakere Ranges & 'The Piano'" Waitakere Ranges by leffe3
Waitakere Ranges Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 37 photos
To the west of Auckland are some of the most dramatic beaches around. Unlike the Hauraki Gulf, which is protected by the Coramandel Peninsula, the Tasman Sea comes crashing in on the shoreline (next stop west is Australia). And surprisingly, considering its proximity to Auckland, development is restricted, with little or no public transport. So for the casual visitor, its car hire or organised tour to see this coastline.
Its because of the relative isolation and magnificent coastline that Jane Campion chose it for the location shots of 'The Piano'. See the beach where Holly Hunter plays the piano on the beach: walk the same path where she disappeared for a pee in all her Victorian splendour!
A few miles further north is Piha. This is considerably (relatively speaking) more developed than Karekare - a couple of... more travel advice
The volcanic black sands are 40% iron ore - impossible to walk on at the height of summer without some kind of... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Waitakere Ranges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waitakere Ranges and Beyond."
- "Waitakere Ranges & 'The Piano'"
- "Amuck in the Waitakere Ranges"
- "Wilderness in the City"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Waitakere Ranges
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Waitakere Ranges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waitakere Ranges
Photos in Waitakere RangesSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos