"Grampians National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination The Grampians by leffe3
The Grampians Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 379 photos
'...a noble range of mountains, rising in the south to a stupendous height, and presenting as bold and picturesque an outline as a painter ever imagined' was how Major Thomas Mitchell described the Grampians when he first saw them in 1836, and promptly named them after the range of mountains in his Scottish homeland.
He was obviously suffering a little from home-sickness as 'stupendous height' is pushing it a little (less than 1200 metres is the highest point). However, the Grampains are a wonderful sight and the Park is a beautiful area of peaks, ranges, valleys, forests, waterfalls, lakes (natural and man-made) and an abundance of wild-life.
The park itself is some 167,000 hectares and rises majestically over the flatlands surrounding it. Its officially the 'end' of the Dividing Ranges, the mountains that sweep round the SEast corner of Australia. The Grampians are consequently part of the same range of mountains that are the Blue Mountains to the west of Sydney and the Victorian High Country, further to the east of the State.
As well as an important recreational centre, 'Gariwerd' (the indigenous name for the Grampians) is an important site of the Jardwadjali and Djab Wurrung people - there are a number of rock art sites throughout the Park and Bunjil's Cave, the most sacred of Victorian Aboriginal sites, is only a few miles west of Hall's Gap and the eastern 'entrance' to the Park.
If you are driving and approaching the Grampians from Melbourne, it is well worth veering off the Midland Highway at... more travel advice
The road between Hall's Gap and Stawell (outside the National Park) highlights the flatlands that surround the Peaks and... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
The Grampians Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grampians National Park"
- "The Grampians/Parc National des Grampians"
- "THE GRAMPIAN'S NATIONAL PARK"
- "The Grampians - ancient splendour"
- "A Quick Look into the Grampians"
- "The Grampians"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Grampians
- Hotels in The Grampians
- Transportation in The Grampians
- Restaurants in The Grampians
- Shopping in The Grampians
- Warnings and Dangers in The Grampians
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Grampians
- 15 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to The Grampians?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Grampians
Photos in The GrampiansSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos