"Lorne" Lorne by leffe3
Lorne Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 207 photos
Lorne is officially the beginning of the Great Ocean Rd and is the biggest town along this part of the coast until you get to Warrnambool some 200kms+ further west. Interestingly, population wise it is almost the same size as Apollo Bay but it's proximity to Melbourne and Geelong means that it has developed as the Great Ocean Rd playground, with a number of hotels and holiday-let apartments and all the facilities expected in such a popular town.
It has a certain charm outside the holiday season, but any positive feelings can quickly evaporate when stuck in the numerous traffic jams that can develop at the height of season. It has also gained the reputation as one of the 'schoolies' destinations (end of school week when school-leavers descend on a week long binge).
Which is a pity (you may have guessed I am not the greatest fan of Lorne) as it's in a fantastic location and the surrounding area is renowned for it's natural beauty. But mid-week or out-of-season, it's not a bad place to base yourself to explore other parts of the coast line.
One of the main reason's for Lorne developing as it has is a result of the wide, relatively safe (sheltered) beach. It... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Lorne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "....And We're Off..... The beginning of the GOR!"
- "Sweetberry's Lorne Page"
- "Lorne - Along the Great Ocean Road"
- "Lorne - Somewhere on the Great Ocean Road"
- "Another Beachside Town on the Great Ocean Road"
- "Lorne, Great Ocean Road, Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lorne
- Hotels in Lorne
- Transportation in Lorne
- Restaurants in Lorne
- Shopping in Lorne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lorne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lorne
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Lorne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lorne
Photos in LorneSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos