"Metung" Metung by leffe3
Metung Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 12 photos
I've got a weak spot for Metung, a small village found at the tip of a narrow, sandy peninsula jutting into the Gippsland Lakes approximately three and a half hours east of Melbourne.
With water on both sides and the vastness of Lake Victoria to the west, the mouth of the Nicholson River (and Lakes Entrance) to the east and River Tambo to the immediate north, boating is very much the focus of the village - the yacht club and marina as well as a tiny beach.
1200 people live here, although with a number of small holiday units lining the main road and permanent homes hidden away in winding, hillside streets, it's hard to believe its as large as that! It's a bit more upmarket than nearby Lakes Entrance - a short main street containing half-a-dozen highly-regarded restaurants, a bakery, a general store and a couple of galleries (and the ever-present real estate agents) is about it.
If it's a quiet location with good food, a farmer's market on the first Saturday of each month, plenty of boats, potentially stunning sunsets that you want, Metung is perfect.
It's 20 minutes drive to Lakes Entrance, 10 minutes to the quiet but beautiful Nungurner, the historic Nyermilang Reserve and Park (stunning views) and if you want to go further afield, an hour (via Lakes Entrance) to Buchan Caves.
leffe3's Related Pages
Metung Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Metung
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Metung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Metung
Photos in MetungSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos