"Sorrento" Sorrento by leffe3
Sorrento Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 38 photos
Sorrento, approximately one and half hours south of Melbourne, is located on the eastern tip of Mornington Peninsula. As a result, it has shorelines on both the Port Philip Bay and the wilder open seas.
Whilst it's a popular weekend destination (and can get incredibly crowded), it's a relatively laid back spot - the beaches and boating being the main attractions along with golf. A bustling main street of bars, cafes, restaurants and galleries attract the weekenders, and it's an ideal base from which to explore the rest of Mornington Peninsula.
Sorrento is the oldest settlement in Victoria, having been founded in 1803 and known as Sullivan Bay. It was originally settled as a convict colony and was the site of many 'firsts' in Victoria - wedding, funeral, birth, postal service, school etc... It didn't last long - approximately 7 months - before lack of fresh drinking water made survival impossible. The colony upped and left and moved across the Bass Strait to Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). Among those original settlers was a young John Pascoe Fawkner, who became the founder of Melbourne in 1835.
A new settlement was established in the 1860s and a number of the grander buildings in Sorrento date from this time.
leffe3's Related Pages
Sorrento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Sorrento Page."
- "Sorrento, by sea by land."
- "One of the neatest places along the bay"
- "Seaside jewel two hours from Melbourne"
- "A new friend....:)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sorrento
- Transportation in Sorrento
- Nightlife in Sorrento
- Restaurants in Sorrento
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sorrento
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Sorrento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sorrento
Photos in SorrentoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos