"Wee Jasper" Wee Jasper by leffe3
Wee Jasper Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 58 photos
More of a valley settlement than a village, Wee Jasper has a population of about 80 people, spread along the Goodradigbee Valley floor at the foot of the Brindabella Ranges at the south western corner of New South Wales just off the Hume Freeway (Sydney-Melbourne). It's some 336 kms from Sydney, 100kms north of Canberra and 650kms north east of Melbourne.
The main 'centre' is the pub, general store and school, just across the old bridge if coming from Yass 50kms away (the nearest town). It's a beautiful location, and being off the highway, away from any development and into countryside that is full of history (apparently one of the most diverse of landscapes in Australia).
A stay in Wee Jasper is a stay away from 'civilisation' - no mobile phone signal, no television reception. It's about nature - long walks, rivers, caves, fossil tours. There's two roads in - one to Yass 50+kms to the east along a paved road (with the exception of one 5km stretch) and a bumpy 4WD only to the west to Tumut.
The Goodradigbee river and Micalong Creek provide access to swimming, but the drought has impacted - the tourist map of Wee Jasper does not take into account the Burrinjuck Dam having virtually disappeared as far as access is concerned from Wee Jasper.
But we had a wonderful week in Wee Jasper, and although there's a lot of driving if you want to get away to such places as Canberra (and even Burrinjuck Dam, which is now a 200 kms round trip), it's about relaxation, it's about open spaces, big skies, incredible night views of the constellations etc. - necessary after a 7 hour drive from Melbourne!
Approximately 20 minutes out of Wee Jasper driving towards Yass, the road crosses the Murumbidgee River. Again,... more travel advice
Great self-catering holiday home 3.5 kms along Caves Rd in Wee Jasper. Large, roomy, all mod cons (once the kids got... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Wee Jasper Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wee Jasper
- 12 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Wee Jasper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wee Jasper
Photos in Wee JasperSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos