"Jarash" Top 5 Page for this destination Jarash by leffe3
Jarash Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 636 photos
Jarash is, quite simply, extraordinary. If it was anywhere else in the world, it would probably be the prime attraction. But Jordan also has Petra....
Its approx 50kms north of Amman. Amazingly, in the new town surrounding the site there are no hotels. So most people travel for the day out of Amman. As a result, unless you time it wrongly and end up with a series of tour buses, chances are that you'll have the place almost entirely to yourself.
As one of the cities of the Greek Decapolis, and, later, an outpost of the Roman Empire, Jarash was an important town for about 500 years (300 BC- 250 AD), gaining its wealth from the important trade with the Nabateans and Petra. At its peak, it is estimated that the population reached approx 15,000. But, like Petra, the city declined in importance with the onset of new sea trade routes from the Far East to Rome. Like Petra, it suffered invasion, earthquakes and was briefly garrisoned by the Crusaders.
After their withdrawal the city was deserted and became lost (to the sands of the desert) and was not rediscovered until 1878. The first archaelogical digs began in 1925. The ancient city is excellently well preserved due to its being buried in the sand for centuries.
The North Gate forms the end of the excavated area. It has been 'over-renovated'! In the immediate vicinity are bath... more travel advice
While a great deal of the structure (and the rest of Jarash) has been destroyed by earthquakes, the columns fronting the... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Jarash Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful Roman town in Jordan"
- "Don't miss this!"
- "Gerasa, an antic city"
- "Jerash, The Ancient Roman City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jarash
- Hotels in Jarash
- Transportation in Jarash
- Restaurants in Jarash
- Warnings and Dangers in Jarash
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jarash
- 12 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Jarash?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jarash
Photos in JarashSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos