"Hoi An" Hoi An by leffe3

Hoi An Travel Guide: 802 reviews and 1,717 photos

Amazingly, Hoi An was a contemporary of Melaka (Malaysia) and Macau (China) in the 17/18/19th centuries, but there is little evidence of it today, with the river silting up access to the sea in the late 19th century, thus making the river mouth un-navigable to larger ships.

Nowadays, its a sleepy, picturesque town, one of the first Chinese settlements in southern Vietnam - Chinese architecture and its influences are to be seen all over the city, the result of which the old city has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Something tells me it will not stay sleepy for very long! Whilst undoubtedly a worthwhile place to hang out for a few days (and it's the perfect spot to travel on to My Son), tourism is more than creeping into the town. Many of the listed buildings are fast becoming galleries and tourist haunts and the probable 'laid-back' approach of only a couple of years ago is slowly ebbing away. But that doesn't mean it has no charm. It's actually an ideal spot for a bit of the more 'commercial' holidaying - a decent beach 4 kms from the old town (hire a bike - its a very easy and safe ride) with a number of cafes and restaurants, a wonderful market, plenty of curio shops to wonder through as well as that day trip to My Son and the widest choice of bars and cafes we encountered outside Hanoi. It's also the place to get your favourite leather jacket copied or full set of clothes made of silk - 2 days or less was the given time.

With half decent weather to spend on the beach, you can easily spend 4 or 5 days relaxing after rushing round the sites of the north of Vietnam.

• Last visit to Hoi An: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2006

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 10:41 PM

many beautiful pics and very good tips.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 3:37 AM

See my wish list 4 why I want to visit Vietnam. Even tho' Hanoi & HaLong Bay are my priorities I'd like to visit Hoi An & also some of the ocast. Thanx for the helpful tips Keith.

• suvaa003's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2004 at 10:20 AM

I have been there twice now, and I found it the last time changed, but people where still nice, I wonder if this is still the case

• Sharon's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2004 at 11:28 AM

I hope its not too spoiled by tourist as Thailand is. Main photo is so colorful and beautiful.

leffe3

“Be well, eat well - and laugh”

Badges & Stats in Hoi An