"Hoi An" Hoi An by leffe3
Hoi An Travel Guide: 802 reviews and 1,717 photos
Amazingly, Hoi An was a contemporary of Melaka (Malaysia) and Macau (China) in the 17/18/19th centuries, but there is little evidence of it today, with the river silting up access to the sea in the late 19th century, thus making the river mouth un-navigable to larger ships.
Nowadays, its a sleepy, picturesque town, one of the first Chinese settlements in southern Vietnam - Chinese architecture and its influences are to be seen all over the city, the result of which the old city has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Something tells me it will not stay sleepy for very long! Whilst undoubtedly a worthwhile place to hang out for a few days (and it's the perfect spot to travel on to My Son), tourism is more than creeping into the town. Many of the listed buildings are fast becoming galleries and tourist haunts and the probable 'laid-back' approach of only a couple of years ago is slowly ebbing away. But that doesn't mean it has no charm. It's actually an ideal spot for a bit of the more 'commercial' holidaying - a decent beach 4 kms from the old town (hire a bike - its a very easy and safe ride) with a number of cafes and restaurants, a wonderful market, plenty of curio shops to wonder through as well as that day trip to My Son and the widest choice of bars and cafes we encountered outside Hanoi. It's also the place to get your favourite leather jacket copied or full set of clothes made of silk - 2 days or less was the given time.
An inevitable part of any stay in Hoi An is sepnding some time at the river front. It may not be the most attractive of... more travel advice
The whole point of Hoi An seems to be to wander the streets aimlessly (waiting those couple of days while your new... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An"
- "Hoi An 22/3/08 to 25/3/08"
- "A charming piece of History"
- "UNESCO HERITAGE Site..a Vietnamese HIGHLIGHT..."
- "The old town of Hoi An"
- "A living museum - Hoi An, Central Vietnam"
- "Vietnam's Living Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoi An
- Hotels in Hoi An
- Transportation in Hoi An
- Nightlife in Hoi An
- Restaurants in Hoi An
- Shopping in Hoi An
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoi An
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 11 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Photos in Hoi AnSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos