"West Yorkshire" West Yorkshire by leffe3
West Yorkshire Travel Guide: 1,278 reviews and 4,358 photos
University life in the city of Bradford (and a couple of years post-studying) introduced me to the wonders of West Yorkshire (as well as North Yorkshire and the Lake District).
Yorkshire evokes something of a dichotomy in people's mind - an 'eee by gum, it's tough up north' with the industrial towns of Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield etc, ' the dark satanic mills' of William Blake refering directly to the heavy 19th century industries of Bradford. On the other hand, it's Bronte land - the moody moor landscapes of Heathcliff and 'Wuthering Heights'.
But the industrialised cities, with the decentralisation from London, are undergoing a major regeneration, with Leeds one the most attractive of England's northern cities with its air of Victorian grandeur interspersed with the redevelopment of the canals and modern architectural gems (including the West Yorkshire Playhouse and the Armoury Museum): Bradford has the excellent National Gallery of Photography and Television along with the redeveloped Saltaire Mills: Huddersfield has the internationally renowned Contemporary Music Festival: Wakefield the Henry Moore Sculpture Park and Halifax the extraordinary Piece Hall and the converted mill, Dean Clough.
But it's the countryside in such close proximity to these towns and cities that is the big attraction to West Yorkshire, although it does play second fiddle to the more dramatic North Yorkshire.
But Haworth and Bronte country is 9 miles from both Leeds and Bradford; Holmfirth and 'Last of the Summer Wine' country is a few miles from Huddersfield; the post-industrial canal town of Hebden Bridge (left) and stunning Calder Valley (main picture under snow) 10 miles west of Halifax; the historic Ilkley and Ilkley Moor again a few miles north of Bradford - the list is long - the Leeds/Bradford conurbation may be something of an inseperable sprawl, but travel only a few miles from either centre and you will find yourself in stunning countryside.
leffe3's Related Pages
West Yorkshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home County!"
- "West Yorkshire"
- "West Yorkshire"
- "WEST YORKSHIRE"
- "Home County - or ex-County"
- "West Yorkshire: Worth the Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Yorkshire
- Hotels in West Yorkshire
- Transportation in West Yorkshire
- Nightlife in West Yorkshire
- Restaurants in West Yorkshire
- Shopping in West Yorkshire
- Warnings and Dangers in West Yorkshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Yorkshire
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to West Yorkshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Yorkshire
Photos in West YorkshireSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Top West Yorkshire hotels
- Leeds Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1672 Photos
- Bradford Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 154 Photos
- Halifax Hotels
- 180 Reviews - 1082 Photos
- Wakefield Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Haworth Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 267 Photos
- Ilkley Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 44 Photos
- Sowerby Bridge Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 341 Photos
- Portsmouth Hotels
- 7 Hotels
- Huddersfield Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Hebden Bridge Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 262 Photos
- Brighouse Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Bingley Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 67 Photos
- Dewsbury Hotels
- 1 Hotel