"Angkor Wat" Angkor Wat by leffe3
Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,638 reviews and 4,718 photos
What an extraordinary place. The extensive ruins of an ancient kingdom, like so many places in the world, lost for centuries before being rediscovered by intrepid 19th and early 20th century explorers (Angkor, Petra, the Nile Delta, Mayan & Inca ruins to name but a few). But more recent tragic events (Pol Pot and the Khmere Rouge) kept Angkor out of view to the modern traveller until very recently - consequently, Angkor has yet to become the mass tourism site that it will, eventually, become.
Angkor (Thom & Wat) is only part of an extensive ancient kingdom going back centuries. The Rolous Group to the east is the oldest remaining remains - many of the buildings pre-9th century were made from semi-permanent materials and have been lost. Brick and sandstone constructions at Lolei and Bakong have survived the ravages of history and nature. But it is in Angkor Thom and, in particular the 12th century Angkor Wat that, according to critics, we see the 'pinnacle' of Khmer architecture.
The Angkor sites are some 4kms east of the village of Siem Reap - a sleepy little town on the banks of the Siem Reap river. At the moment, whilst serving tourism, it has yet to be overrun (although this will undoubtedly change in time). A few kms to the south is the Tonle Sap lake (point of arrival by ferry from Phnom Penh) and the floating Vietnamese village. Between the town and lake shores is an incredibly lush and verdant countryside and, probably, the site of many more yet to be discovered ruins.
As a religious site, Angkor remains the home of monks and novices, and throughout the area the incredible-hued orange robes can be seen, juxtaposed against the greys of the stone of the monuments and the green of the jungle.
On the other side of the highway from Lolei is Preah Ko. It is known as the temple of the ancestors, and, although... more travel advice
It went past too quickly -:) Imagine if you'd forgotten soemthing, only to discover the local supermarket had upped and... more travel advice
leffe3's Related Pages
Angkor Wat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Wat"
- "Angkor Wat Rediscovered"
- "Angkor What?"
- "Facing to the west and stairway to heaven"
- "Angkor Wat: Our Own Personal Tuk Tuk"
- "Angkor Wat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Wat
- Hotels in Angkor Wat
- Transportation in Angkor Wat
- Nightlife in Angkor Wat
- Restaurants in Angkor Wat
- Shopping in Angkor Wat
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Wat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat
- 45 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Angkor Wat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Wat
Photos in Angkor WatSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 113 reviews, 239 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 76 reviews, 275 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria Intro, 54 reviews, 230 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 84 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 51 reviews, 185 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 50 reviews, 157 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 45 reviews, 135 photos
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 110 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 137 photos